Where do you get kalkwasser?

sen5241b

Ms. Wages Pickling lime, walmart/grocery store

been working great for a while now but recently has become in sufficient

insufficient?! why? Also did Ms. Wages ever raise your ph?

its ph is around 11 i think, insufficient cause i got into SPS alot more used to be mainly into zoa's which dont really need calcium, but ive been sps nuts for a while now and things are growing/ added a frag tank.

I use it with top off water so i just dont have enough evap to put enough cal in, I could dose to get the levels i want but im going to take a stab at a calcium reactor and hopefully get some nice stable conditions.

I have used it for the past 6 or 7 years i think and never had a problem. just need a little more for my tank now.

Ms Wages is just cheap and easy to find, dosing is a sinch.

I'm experimenting with Sea Lab No. 28 tablets. I think I might be able to just drop 2 in once a week and keep cal good but then that leaves the issue of alk.

I used to use the ESV calc but lately switched to the Bulk Reef Supply kalk, I like it alot better and it is cheaper, doesn't gum up in the bottom of my stirrer near as bad as the ESV and maintains my PH better

Where do you get yours locally?

I've gotr the info at my shop.

You have to buy like 10 50# bags but can't remember all the details.

I know I got a couple bags over the years though.

I use about a 2/3 cup a week via addition and replacement.

Is it necessary to have a pump stir the kalk? Can you use an airpump?

Air pump would be the least desirable IMO.

air and calcium hydroxide creates calcium carbonate.

calcium carbonate requires low pH to begin disolving, hence it's use in Ca reactors with co2.

If you look at your old kalk that you pitch each month when you clean your reactor, the little shard like particles is the formed calcium carbonate.

It would also be a crust that forms on the surface of a vat with calcium hydroxide and water was mixed in.

Air pump would be the least desirable IMO.

air and calcium hydroxide creates calcium carbonate.

calcium carbonate requires low pH to begin disolving, hence it's use in Ca reactors with co2.

If you look at your old kalk that you pitch each month when you clean your reactor, the little shard like particles is the formed calcium carbonate.

It would also be a crust that forms on the surface of a vat with calcium hydroxide and water was mixed in.

right but you DO need some kind of pump to stir the stuff?

right but you DO need some kind of pump to stir the stuff?

Not necessarily. It depends on how you make it and how you dose it. If you're dosing out of your mixing container, then yes, you need to stir the mix when you add fresh RO.

you can make a very cheap dosing setup by using a couple aqualifter pumps, one of those rubbermaid food storage jars, some rigid airline tubing and some silicone sealant.

Is there something wrong with Kent kalkwasser that it seems like no one here uses it?

Not necessarily. It depends on how you make it and how you dose it. If you're dosing out of your mixing container, then yes, you need to stir the mix when you add fresh RO.

you can make a very cheap dosing setup by using a couple aqualifter pumps, one of those rubbermaid food storage jars, some rigid airline tubing and some silicone sealant.

Actually, you can make an awesome "twist" rector out of a 2 liter soda bottle and 24" of ridgid air line tubing and some regular airline tubing. You don't really need the ridgid tubing if you can't find any.

Nothing wrong with Kent Kalk, I actually started with it about 20 years ago.

Got a link for this?

I forgot about this thread.

It's that Mississippi lime stuff.

422334268_c92c3c508d_b.jpg

I am sure there is still some floating around, that was 1400# and only 2 years ago.....

I am always happy to supply WAMAS members with Kalkwasser. I give %10 discount if you let me know before you buy, that you are a WAMAS member.