destruction

cmill5k

hey everyone im sure i wasnt the only one to have a tank crash during this fine winter storm, i got stuck out of my house with a 6 gallon nano with a 5.5 gallon sump left alone. power went out and had to have my dad unhook my overflow via over the phone instruction. i sat and walked him through all that would help my tank no goto to birds. had him set some hobs on the tank so there was something to filter in between when the power would go on and off because it was doin so all night. so it was being snowed in and waiting to see how things went, due to the snow i guess everyone stocked up on water so there wasnt any extra on hand. so i had gotten some phone calls and before the storm expected to lose a few things. fast forward to this afternoon when i finally get home. i cant even seen into my tank and my entire basement where my tank and bedroom is smells so foul, it was disgusting. so i go and look into my ridicuolously foggy tank and first thing i did was call a friend who lives a lil bit away but has a bigeer stable system and seen if they could take wat had lived off my hands but they couldnt. so i hurried up and got what looked like it had a chance of living into a few picos i had running but had nothing in them yet due to lack of funds, they stayed in there until i got back from my er trip to petco, there i bought a ten gallon aga and a bunch of pre mixed sw went hime pulled out all my rock rinsed it and rinsed all my corals with fresh sw and put the water from the picos into the ten to help skip some kind of cycle. i got everything up and running fine with carbon and some phosban and hob filters with a skimmer also running. things dont seem to be looking too hot, most of the corals are expelling mucus and there flesh at a pretty rapid pace, hopefully at least a few things make it. my arrow crab i had in the sump/fuge somehow loved every other invert with the exception of a few hermits kicked it, even had a linkia star doing good for 2 months in there. needless to sayi think im going to take a step out of the hobby for a little bit.

lets hear your stories hopefully everyone eleses wasnt as bad as mine.

pics109.jpgrip 1/7/10

Edited by cmill5k

Stay in the hobby! I know it's hard but don't give up. I had a really bad crash back when I had my 120gal and lost everything I had. I upgraded to my 210gal because of the crash :rollface: They say bigger is better right :biggrin:

So sorry to hear about your tank! My power was out for 12 hours, and what saved the little tanks was this little gizmo:

Silent Air B11 Battery Back-Up Pump

You plug it in, and when the electric goes out the pump turns on. I had fresh batteries in mine, and all lasted the full 12 hours without any problems. That way even if you're not home the pump will turn on, and you'll keep up the supply of O2 in the tank.

Best of luck!

defiantly not gonna give up on the hobby forever, but defiantly need to take a step back for a bit until i get back to work (been laid off since the week before xmas). its a shame too because i just got back into it about 9 to 12 months ago, o well theres a time and place for everything. as for survivors there arent going to be too many unfortunately, tomorrow i think ill really be able to tell what has a chance and what doesnt. a lot of what i pulled just seemed to not have the flesh completely off yet but seems to be receding rapidly. i have a feeling maybe 3 corals tops will make it my arrow crab will probably make it and my yellow sponge ( the first thing bought for the aquarium, sort of ironic?) but ill keep you guys updated with some pics tomorow