tank background painting

DDiver

Who here painted their background? What kind of paint and color did you use?

Who here painted their background? What kind of paint and color did you use?

plain black spraypaint. I just turned it upside down in the grass and gave it a nice coat. Have done it several times and works perfectly. Never had an issue.

I just got whatever was the cheapest black can. I did it on glass, not sure if acrylic is different. not sure which way your headed. You can also cover the top with say saran wrap before you spray it, but when I did it, it had the black trim around the top and since it was upside down, nothing got into the tank.

I did an acrylic with cobalt blue spray paint and just finished a glass 120g with gloss black roll on. Both covered nicely. Takes two coats with the roller, because the first one just kind of smears. The second coat covered everything nicely. Just plain, cheap paint on both. The acrylic has been up over a year with MH lighting, no peeling, etc has occured.

Roll on latex.

I'd use something that is pretty durable and doesn't scratch too easily. I scrape my back glass of coraline, so I don't like seeing little scratches in the black paint :)

Roll on black latex paint. Goes on quick and if you want it off, a razor blade and 5 minutes will do ya.

I did latex as well. Careful not to make the coats too thick, or it will slide. I got a blue that I thought would look more "reefy."

As painted

tank_back_2509.jpg

With water

9810whole.jpg

The newest version of the tank has an unpainted back, which I like a lot better.

or use a sheet of vinyl. Comes in different colors and you can cut to fit without all the mess of painting. Plus if you ever decide you want to change the color, you can rip off the vinyl and apply another color. Assuming you have easy access to the rear of the tank.

Edited by magnetic1

gallery_490_60_575618.jpg

This is mine from years ago. Went with a midnight blue to keep it a darker color. Use a roller meant for smooth surfaces. Not a standard wall roller, the smooth surface is a foam roller that will install on a typical roller handle.

I have found that a brush and latex paint works well. Flat or glossy it will look glossy on the glass when viewed through the tank. The spray is harder for me to control and gives no better results in my hands. The reason for this is that it will be viewed through a pane of glass and no matter how poor a painter you may be it always seems to look great.

Have fun!