Bristleworms?

WaterDog

Apparently the nemastoma wasn't the only hitchhiker...

These are bristleworms...right? Please tell me if they are because I don't want to kill off anything unecessarily.

But if they are, anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of them? I thought of the tube idea, but I'm afraid that'll catch the hermits or shrimp.

gallery_2632200_728_11798.jpg

gallery_2632200_728_324310.jpg

And I know, I accidentally posted this twice, just ignore the other post

Edited by WaterDog

bristleworms are perfectly safe and are great detritivores.

Wait seriously? Whatever happened to the stories of the bristleworms eating through the walk and eating the corals and smaller fish?

if you have way too many bristleworms, they can be kind of annoying - and it's a good indication you are overfeeding. But up to that point, I've never heard of them causing any real trouble. They can certainly make a dead fish or snail disappear in a hurry!

bob

No need for a trap. Besides, you probably have hundreds of them already in your tank.

As, zygote2k mentioned, they are great scavengers that help break down organics. I only remove the really big night crawler size ones because they just freak me out and they can hurt when you grad one by accident.

+1...I HATE them! They creep me out too but I found that my lil mini carpets like them so when i see a big one I pull it out and feed it to them.

No need for a trap. Besides, you probably have hundreds of them already in your tank.

As, zygote2k mentioned, they are great scavengers that help break down organics. I only remove the really big night crawler size ones because they just freak me out and they can hurt when you grad one by accident.

I like to hunt them :-) 10 " tongs and a small light. They are VERY fast and learn they are being hunted - lol Once you get a hold of one, pull it slow so it doesn't break.

I have read where bristle worms will mess with a clam that is in the sand. I have never witnessed it though.

I like to hunt them :-) 10 " tongs and a small light. They are VERY fast and learn they are being hunted - lol Once you get a hold of one, pull it slow so it doesn't break.

I have read where bristle worms will mess with a clam that is in the sand. I have never witnessed it though.

LOL I think I'll leave the hunting to a fish that eats them...if there are any that is

Any worm hunting fish like a six lined wrasse may intimidate and pick your shrimp to death before they eat one worm. I'd leave them be. My wife still gives me a hard time about the big fat one I ripped in half when trying to extract it from a rock with tongs. That was back in the days when I was starting up my tank, before I had a healthy population of worms to eat it's rotting carcass, so I got a nitrate spike instead.

LOL I think I'll leave the hunting to a fish that eats them...if there are any that is

Red Coris Wrasse makes easy work of the bristle worm, however anything placed on the sand will be over turned as they hunt for them. I experience this darn near daily.

Does it bother your corals or is this a FOWLR tank?

Red Coris Wrasse makes easy work of the bristle worm, however anything placed on the sand will be over turned as they hunt for them. I experience this darn near daily.