I am an Idiot!!!

khalid

So I got a good deal on a 180 that has never been use and picked it up yesterday evening with a buddy. Everything was going great we got to my house and carried it around the townhouse complex to get to my basement door through mud, rain, and really wet grass. Everything was going great and as we were getting it into the basement I was thinking I was in the clear and this baby made it home okay I was wrong. I went to set my side on the the carpeted floor when all the sudden my side of the tank slipped out of my hands and fell about a foot onto the carpet and we heard something break. It looks like the plastic was the only thing that cracked and the glass if fine but now I am going to have to do an extra long leak test before I even begin wasting time drilling the thing. I really hope everything turns out ok and nothing leaks so I didn't completely waste my money. :( Just had to vent because me being an idiot was running through my head all night. :(

I think you will be fine. The glass is thick on those tanks, probably tempered, the sealant seams are semi flexable so they would take some of the shock out. If you can't see visible air pockets in the seams I would not stress much. As it was mentioned you can order replacement plastic trim if needed.

That must have been a serious shock, dropping the tank! Maybe you should check under the trim for chips?

Thanks everyone! I checked under and there aren't any chips or cracks just a crack in the plastic. Do I really have to replace that or does it not affect anything? It is Tempered glass which I think was my saving grace no it just has to pass the leak test to make sure the seals are okay. Fingers crossed! :)

It's a standard AGA and sits on top of all the stands they make.

IMO, the plastic trim on the bottom is not needed. On the top it helps to brace the sides from bowing. Does it fit down into a stand or just sit on top?

Don't beat yourself up. Your not an idiot. You just had a slip. Its not like you thought it would be OK to drop the tank. If that were the case, then I'd agree with the idiot part, but we all know that is not the case.

I hope everything is OK, and by tomorrow morning it won't look nearly as bad.

David, didn't you indicate in an earlier thread that House of Tropicals can get the plastic frames for tanks?

Yes, I did and here is the quote. Wow, you have a good memory!

George(Geofloors) hooked me up with House of Tropicals for my tank frames. They had several in stock. Try giving them a call. 410-761-1113

Thanks all for all the help and addvice! :) Hopefully it passes the leak test later on this week when I put some water in it. If the plastic get's bad I'll order a new one to replace it. :clap:

IMO, the plastic trim on the bottom is not needed. On the top it helps to brace the sides from bowing. Does it fit down into a stand or just sit on top?

No disrespect, but I could not disagree more. On tanks designed to have it, the plastic trim is critical in the long term structural integrity of the tank. You could pas your leak test only to have the thing burst apart at the seams in a year or two.

IMHO, Take the time and the few $ to replace the trim now, it will be a HUGE pain once that tank is up and running.

I was going to suggest a bonding agent that fuses plastics, but if you can get new trim, I'd go that route. If just dropping a tank makes you an idiot, then I must be brain dead. I'm replacing all the floors in my basement right now because I let my skimmer and RO/DI water overflow twice in one year. You feel like a real idiot when you sell all your stuff for 1/2 what you paid for it or less in order to repair all the damage it did to your house.

Thanks everyone I think I will get new trim for the tan to be safe instead of having the 180 gallons of water end up on the floor.

Igozoom- That suck!! Sorry to hear that. :(

Guest coupester
Coupester, Welcome to WAMAS!

When I called glasscages they only had frames up to 90g. What size frame did you order from them?

Thanks...glad i found this forum! I had bought a used 75g from CL and when i got it home the trim was in really bad shape.