How long does it take you to drill through a tank wall?

fry_school101

I'm in process of drilling a few 10 gallon tanks and it seems like it is taking a lot longer than it should. I had the same problem when I did it a few years ago. Can those of you who have drilled post how long it took to drill one hole?

I'm in process of drilling a few 10 gallon tanks and it seems like it is taking a lot longer than it should. I had the same problem when I did it a few years ago. Can those of you who have drilled post how long it took to drill one hole?

are you using an expensive bit, or a cheap bit? If it's a cheap bit - the first one will take 2 minutes... then 3... then 4... then 6... then 10... :)

bob

Ha ha Bob... He is right about those cheap bits. IMO its better to take it slow then to rush it. I usually spend about 2 min for that thick of glass.

Edited by Nate

Hmmm. . . . that's what I was thinking it should take, but it's already been about 30 and my hand is numb. I've only drilled two other holes with it and it took about an hour for each. I'm using putty and water too.

Junk bit?

You drilled 30 holes with the same bit???

Most bits should be good for 8-10 holes but I wouldn't push it.

Edited by Nate

Oh! well in that case it sounds like a cheap bit my friend. I can't say I have spent more than 10 minutes drilling a hole.

I've spent that long on a hole (at least it felt like it)........ but it was 3/4,inch glass :) . I'd say you need to push a LITTLE bit more. But yeah, most likely dull bit. where did you get it?

I would avoid the suggestions to push harder as 10g tanks are thin and crack easy.

It should take less then ten minutes for a thin 10g tank. If your bit is lacking diamonds then it will fell smooth. If it does feel smooth then you should get another one as a dull bit leads to broken tanks from people compensating and pushing to hard.

Edited by Coral Hind

I picked it up from BRK. I thought I remembered hearing they had good ones.. . I want to say it was something like $15 but this was a couple years ago. It's been sitting around since then because I wasn't thrilled with the experience.

Looking online I am seeing bits for $40 -$100.

Pipe bits require sand. Can I use the old bit and just add a tiny pinch of sand? Is it diamond sand?

I bought a bit from from the link below a few weeks ago. Its a cheap bit, about 15 bucks, but it worked pretty well. Ive cut 4 holes with it and havent noticed a difference it the time that it cuts. DONT PUSH on a 10 gal tank, I made that mistake myself on the first tank i drilled. Let the weight of the drill do all the work, it took me about 4-5 mins to drill my 10 gallon, and that was with stopping and starting alot.

http://www.glass-holes.com/Glass-Hole-Cutt...8F.qscstrfrnt01

Good advice from everyone about not pushing, my statement was joking around but could easily be taken the wrong way so I'll correct it here. I don't even let the weight of the drill carry itself down as I've got a large cordless drill that's pretty heavy. I think that the longest it took me to drill a hole was maybe 5 minutes on one of the first I drilled because I was so nervous about drilling the hole. The last one I drilled was probably through 1/2" glass and took a few minutes. I was in a hurry so I did the end of the hole a bit too fast and chipped it out a bit, but otherwise it would have taken maybe an additional minute or so. My bit was from BRK, too, and it has drilled about 6 holes and is still fine.

Thank you all for the offers and advice. I should probably just buy one as I have about 10 holes to drill. I decided that water changes and sponge filters on my breeding tanks are a lot of work.

I have a diamond set from the glass holes link above I think. I have drilled around 6 to 8 holes, most with the same bit. Tanks were 15H, 29 and 40. All holes were < 2 minutes start to finish.

I think the whole set was only $60 and they have been fine.