Halides over Acrylic Center brace

gsedlack

Question: I am working on the lighting for an acrylic tank. It is 3/4". The tank has 2 openings but I think I need 3 250w bulbs for coverage. I was planning on using 3 LumenBrite minis (I have them now). Do you think its OK to place one over the center brace. It would be about 15" above it. Or am I running a risk by doing that?

TIA - George

I had a setup just like that with 250W bulb above it. Didn't have any problems. Just make sure to clean the top of the brace often with RO/DI to get all the salt off and let the light through.

Question: I am working on the lighting for an acrylic tank. It is 3/4". The tank has 2 openings but I think I need 3 250w bulbs for coverage. I was planning on using 3 LumenBrite minis (I have them now). Do you think its OK to place one over the center brace. It would be about 15" above it. Or am I running a risk by doing that?

TIA - George

I've seen them bow downwards into the water over time causing water leveling issues. Something to think about.

might happen on a thin or poorly constructed tank brace, but shouldn't be a problem with anything of 1/2" or thicker.

why not do 2) 400's?

TIA - George

I have mine over a GLASS centerbrace, and it is a bear to keep clean so I usually put my lower light corals in that position. I would however not reccomend putting it over acrylic unless you can find a few people that have without any problems. Halides get hot, at least try setting up a light and let it stay on for a photoperiod at the same distance that it would be from the brace and put a thermometer on it that will track the highest temperature, at least them you will know what kind of heat you are talking.

john

Keep in mind it will get hotter once the acrylic is dirty and absorbs more light energy. You may get crazing/cracking over time too depending on the quality of the acrylic. My suggestion is to try some T5s over the center section which spread the light a little more, so as to not have a point source for the heat.

might happen on a thin or poorly constructed tank brace, but shouldn't be a problem with anything of 1/2" or thicker.

why not do 2) 400's?

Not true. I've seen it on a high quality manufactured tank. It started bowing after a 2-3 years.

Anyway, good luck with your tank set up. It's not like it'll happen to every tank out there. Just letting you know it's a possibility as I've seen it in person.