Could my strawberry pseuochromis be full of eggs?

Jan

Has anyone ever had a mated pair? have they layed eggs? I have two, one small and one large. The larger of the two is a new addition that I've had for about 2-3 weeks now. The larger one is sitting at the bottom of the tank. It's not breathing heavy. It's color is very good. It wont eat and it's abdomen is huge. It swims just fine. it's just hanging out at the bottom around the rocks. any ideas of what could be going on? It looks very full of something.

Many species of dottybacks are commercially bred, so odds are it's pregnant.

I would try taking some good pictures, both before and after. It would be a good addition to your photo gallery.

It's dying and i don't know why. It's lying on it's side breathing heavy. I don't know what to do for it.

Many species of dottybacks are commercially bred, so odds are it's pregnant.

I would try taking some good pictures, both before and after. It would be a good addition to your photo gallery.

It was upside down breathing heavy and barely moving behind a rock. The powerheads were pushing it all round the tank. It was also losing it's scales. I have no clue what could have caused this. I've checked all params and everything is good. All the other fish are fine. All corals are fine. I put it in a QT tank. It's barely breathing. I'll give it a little more time then i'm euthanizing it.

Are you sure its dying and not just getting ready to lay the eggs?

(edited)

It may have been Dropsy. It was very fast whatever it was. The fish is dead. It was fine yesterday. The only new addition to the tank was some live black sand that i rinsed well, or so I thought. Dropsy is usually caused by bacteria. I wonder if something bad was growing in that sand. Too bad. It was a very beautiful dottyback. Very big and very bright pink.

Edited by Jan

It may have been Dropsy. It was very fast whatever it was. The fish is dead. It was fine yesterday. The only new addition to the tank was some live black sand that i rinsed well, or so I thought. Dropsy is usually caused by bacteria. I wonder if something bad was growing in that sand. Too bad. It was a very beautiful dottyback. Very big and very bright pink.

I'm terribly sorry, Jan. It was fast. Something I read about dropsy is that it's more a symptom than a disease itself and normally indicative of a bacterial infection, or organ failure stemming from a bacterial infection. It very well could be that, by the time the fish started showing symptoms, that it's fate was sealed.