Tekkens 120 Consolidation

My current tank tank... a 110gallon 72inch tank. I always wanted depth as opposed to length, although my fiancee likes the longer tanks more. So, off to the races. The tank was put together in a pretty big hurry so I really didn't have time to plan it out much. But for the tank swap, gonna take my time and make it look nicer. The ghetto hanging light canopy was put together and painted within 5 hours. It contains 2x250W 14K Aquamaxx bulbs driven by 2 Blueline E-Ballast. Supplemental lights are from 2x60inch VHO Super Actinics driven by an IceCap 660 ballast.

pic of the current tank:

001current110.jpg

Now onto the build

New tank is an AGA 120 gallon tank that measure 48x24x24 with black trim. Dual oveflows with 1 inch drain and 3/4 returns in each overflow. I pretty much tossed out all the old piping and bulkheads this thing came with as they were pretty nasty with all the calcium build ups and such.

005Tank1.jpg

006Tank2.jpg

dosed the tank with water and distilled vinegar and started scraping away to clean the tank using new blades on head glass panel to minimize any scratches. Worked like a charm.

Now for the stand, I build a custom stand using 2x4's. Although most DIY plans indicate that the corners are where all the wieght is concentrated and no indications of the middle joints, I wanted to be a be more cautiouis and put 2x4s for the middle support as well. The back is glued and screwed in, but the middle support for the front, I will not screw in so that I can easily change setups in the future if need be.

002StandBuild.jpg

003StandBuild.jpg

004StandBuild.jpg

Time to transfer the live stock to a temporary tank and take down the current one. I used a spare 50 gallon breeder I had and a 35 gallon rubbermaid tank to hold everyone. Each had a couple of powerheads and heaters. I had to keep them in the temp tanks longer then expected due to my work schedule so lost a few fish which I'm very upset about: Yellow Tang, mated pair of percs, firefish, lawnmower blenny, cleaner shrimp. Not sure what happened but it must have been something in the 50 gallon breeder tank as that was where most of the livestock was lost, but everyone in the 35 gallon rubbermaid tank was well and thriving. So sad.

007.jpg

008.jpg

This is the point where my fiancee comes down to the basement, both hands on hips and yells out "AND YOU CALL THIS RE-ORGANIZING AND MAKE THINGS LOOK BETTER" and stormed back upstairs

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Plumbing and giving all my pumps and equipment a nice vinegar bath

012.jpg

013.jpg

Putting the 120 in place and building the standpipe for drain lines

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

Using some gutter guard to prevent unwanted guests from entering the overflow.

024.jpg

For my lighting, I wanted to try to do a DIY Light rail as opposed to the cheezy light enclosure I had hanging from the ceililng in my previous setup. Since I'm doing everything solo, it was hard for me to point and measure with accuracy on where to place the bolts and chains in my other setup. Also, it didn't look very nice but made due for the situation. I really wanted to take time to do it right this time so off to Lowes and purchased 2x10ft 3/4 conduit pipes and a 3/4 conduit pipe bender. Measured both pipes where I wanted to bend and off we went. I must say that it was rather easy to bend. Used glossy black spray paint, let it dry overnight.

026.jpg

Used my trustee old Dremel with the metal cutting attachment to cut the conduit pipe to the length I needed.

028.jpg

Got a couple of Icecap 250W MH ballast from David (CoralHind), wired them to the MH Pendants and screwed the conduit pipes to the back of the stand and it looked rather good... pretty pleased with the results. Maybe one day, I'll be a little adventurous and get one of those motors to automatically lower and raise the pendants :-)

029.jpg

031.jpg

This weekend is gonna be spent working on the plumbing, which will be run through the wall to my laundry room. I'll set up a 15 tall refugium, 50 gallon breeder tank as my frag tank and sump.

More to come....

Nice. How do you like the reflectors - Lumen Bright minis?

I got these from bamainva as part of the 65 gallon setup and let me tell you... Mike warned me that they were bright, but oh my gosh... They really light up the tank.

I didn't realize 7 tanks would fit into a single 120. :lol2:

looking good.

Oh... that's not even counting the 75 gallon planted Discus tank in the living and the 20 gallon planted red cherry shrimp in the bedroom. Now, I have a total of 3 tanks... but soon to add the 50 gallon breeder as my 4th and scout's honor that's it... my fiance, for whatever reason, doesn't believe me :biggrin: but I gonna keep this setup the way it is for awhile at least

by the way, here's the 50 breeder. I decided to use pvc instead of the vinyl tubings to connect to the SQWD via 1/2 unions so that it would be easier for me to change later on down the road. This will be going in the utility room since I only want to have one display tank showing in the main room.

032.jpg

033.jpg

I'm with your wife, I like the long tanks too!! I have to admit though your new one is REALLY nice! Good work!!

Thanks. well, hopefully, the final product will be really nice or else she's gonna make me take it apart and put in a 72 inch tank :cry:

hopefully, the final product will be really nice or else she's gonna make me take it apart and put in a 72 inch tank :cry:

Very nice work, Steve.

Hey man, just bite the bullet. Tell your fiance that your tearing everything out and replacing it all with that 300 gallon Marineland you've always wanted :biggrin:

updated pics of the progress thus far :biggrin:

Plumbing underneath the 120. Drains are 1 inch and returns are 3/4 inch. I used a ball valve on both returns and drains so that I could be control the flow.

027-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

Cut a whole through the wall to go to the Utility room behind it. I would have loved to do in in wall setup, but there is not enough room in the utility room becase my water heater is there and taking up lots of room. Plan is once everything is set up the way I want, I'm gonna enclose the stand and block off the side view so that the hole is not as exposed.

030-1.jpg

Other side of the wall... pump is a PCX-40 (Mak4). It's a bit too powerful so I had to turn down the pump using the ball valve for the returns... got this from another Wamas member a couple of months ago but it's starting to show signs of age as it get's louder and louder. Might be getting an new pump soon.

031-1.jpg

finally got everything on the stand... 15 gallon high refugium, 50 gallon breeder frag tank, sump. I accidentally broke my 30 gallon sump... so have to use the rubbermaid tub for the time being until I can put maybe a 50 gallon sump together.

037.jpg

039.jpg

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

Refugium

040.jpg

041.jpg

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!

2 Sunlight 36 inch ready fit T5HO giving me 4 bulbs total and 2x26inch ARO VHO retro kit attached together and just sitting on top of some 2/3s until I can get around to hanging them.

042.jpg

043.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

Frags in place. Some are slowly recovering from the shocking of swapping out all these tanks... so far, so good

048.jpg

049.jpg

Main 120 with Metal Halides on... 2x250 MH bulbs driven with IceCap Ballasts. Will be swapping out the bulbs soon to more blueish 14k bulb

050.jpg

051.jpg

Now that everything is pretty much in place, I can go focus on making the setup a bit more cleaner... cable management and relocatings stuff.. but it's coming along... more to come as I have time..

Oh... got a masonry drill bit over the weekend... so gonna test the who column thing... Dan (Zoozilla)... after seeing your tank... gotta at least give this a try :lol2:

052.jpg

Oh... got a masonry drill bit over the weekend... so gonna test the who column thing... Dan (Zoozilla)... after seeing your tank... gotta at least give this a try :lol2:

That looks like a pretty good solid base for your column. How much does that piece weigh?

Btw, they do in fact make some mean rockwork/structures @ Who-ville ;)

Looking good, I completely understand the long tank blue's and am in the same boat, but what can you do.

Sorry to hear about the losses you had i was wondering what happened.

will be following the progress

Edited by Der ABT

That looks like a pretty good solid base for your column. How much does that piece weigh?

Btw, they do in fact make some mean rockwork/structures @ Who-ville ;)

The base rock in the picture is about 20 lbs... :eek:

what is who-ville?

Looking good, I completely understand the long tank blue's and am in the same boat, but what can you do.

Sorry to hear about the losses you had i was wondering what happened.

will be following the progress

only thing i can think of is that my powerheads were more towards the bottom... so perhaps it didn't aerate the top of the water so less oxygen exchange... oh well... lesson learned

Plumbing underneath the 120. Drains are 1 inch and returns are 3/4 inch. I used a ball valve on both returns and drains so that I could be control the flow.

027-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

You should use some conduit brackets or at least zipties to attach the pipes somewhere secure. If you bump one of those pipes you could very easily crack the bulkhead and end up with a mess. IME :)

What is that big black fish in the photo with the pair of hippo tangs? Looks like a cichlid.

what is who-ville?

Where Dr. Suess's "Whos" live: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/5597 (Kinda looks like my current rock work :biggrin: )

Nvm, thought you mentioned "Whos" above and Dr. Suess is the 1st thing that popped in my head.

What is that big black fish in the photo with the pair of hippo tangs? Looks like a cichlid.

+1, was wondering the same thing. That's one mean looking bugger. Tekken, isn't that fish from Ziggy's tank breakdown?

Where Dr. Suess's "Whos" live: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/5597 (Kinda looks like my current rock work :biggrin: )

Nvm, thought you mentioned "Whos" above and Dr. Suess is the 1st thing that popped in my head.

+1, was wondering the same thing. That's one mean looking bugger. Tekken, isn't that fish from Ziggy's tank breakdown?

Dan... you hit it right on... this was dubbed "the devil fish" from his tank breakdown... and was in a seperate quarintine tank... although he's been nothing but docile... i was told he was a damsel.. but haven't come across another one that looks like him

You should use some conduit brackets or at least zipties to attach the pipes somewhere secure. If you bump one of those pipes you could very easily crack the bulkhead and end up with a mess. IME :)

That will be part of the cable management and clean up process...