Ron's 120

onux20

i did not mean for that to sound so negative. i just do it for a living and was giving you a heads up. once again sorry for it sounding so negative.

No worries, no offense taken. The house and furnace are fairly new. I can shut down the sump for a short amount time if I ABSOLUTELY have to! Not ideal but doable.

Ron

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N02 dropped to near zero today. :drink: Another day closer to the end of my 2yo saying "Daddy I dont see your fishies."

Ron

Edited by onux20

UGHHHHH!!! I have a constant sand storm in the tank. Sugar sized sand was a bad choice.

Two options..

1. Dial down the vortech and see if that helps. I really dont want to do that. Defeats the purpose of getting it in the first place.

2. Buy some coarser sand and put a layer on top of the sugar.

Thoughts?

Ron

tank looks to be going well, maybe its time for some softies and clean up crews.

Thanks.

I added a few snails and hermits last weekend. Probably get some more this weekend.

Ron

So it begins. A small Yellow Eye Kole Tang is the first fish in the 120. Picked up several corals from Lanman today. All I can say about his setup is WOW!!! Thanks Bob.

I have no camera so no pics. Tomorrow, I have to get some coarser sand to lay on top of the sugar. It is ridiculous how much sand is in the water column.

Good times. Pics after the holiday.

UGHHHHH!!! I have a constant sand storm in the tank. Sugar sized sand was a bad choice.

Two options..

1. Dial down the vortech and see if that helps. I really dont want to do that. Defeats the purpose of getting it in the first place.

2. Buy some coarser sand and put a layer on top of the sugar.

Thoughts?

Ron

Hey Ron,

I had the same problem in my tank. I end up putting a layer of crushed coral on top.

Just make sure you rinse it thoroughly before you dump it in. I put 3-4 cups of crushed coral in a bucket. Rinsed it several times (6-7) with RODI water. Then took small amounts in my hand and slowly dumped it on top of the fine sand. Had I known before hand I would have donde the fine sand with a 1/2 inch layer of crushed coral on top.

Hey Ron,

I had the same problem in my tank. I end up putting a layer of crushed coral on top.

Just make sure you rinse it thoroughly before you dump it in. I put 3-4 cups of crushed coral in a bucket. Rinsed it several times (6-7) with RODI water. Then took small amounts in my hand and slowly dumped it on top of the fine sand. Had I known before hand I would have donde the fine sand with a 1/2 inch layer of crushed coral on top.

Aside from the RO water, that was exactly my plan. BTW your tank is unbelievable!

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The first fish and corals are in. Just lost one of three damsels today. I thought I saw him this morning before the water change. I checked the sump, no fishy. Maybe he was a Tebow fan and couldn

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Well there have been several wins and losses over the past month and a half.

I tried to battle the noise of the overflows by adding a strainer. Over Xmas break the lower flow caused an algae bloom. The substrate was covered in a carpet of algae. I thought increased flow ( I removed the strainers) and Chaeto would get it to recede

Edited by onux20

• 2 months later...

Another mixed bag of goods and bads since the last update. Bought a Flame Anegel that was covered in ich w/in 24hrs. Took down my scopas and yellow eye kole with him. Last time I get fish from that place! :sad:

After a few hiccups and a whole new rig, I have the reef illuminations light up. I like it. A little louder than I'd hoped for but it is nice. Quite a change from the 8X54 Tek Light.

Bubble algae is killing me. Need to figure out a way to get this under control. Emeralds still dont look like they are interested.

Seeing some growth but not a lot of PE from the corals. Birdsnest is growing like a champ. Everything else just so so.

I stopped dosing two-part a week ago. Ca now at 426, Alk 6. Kalk stirrer is the next purchase I think.

Here are a few pics as the tank is now.

Ron

gallery_656_785_637829.jpg

gallery_656_785_437624.jpg

gallery_656_785_13216.jpg

Bubble algae is killing me. Need to figure out a way to get this under control. Emeralds still dont look like they are interested.

I've heard several comments about issues with bubble algae but never the solution that I've found - by accident. When I had it BAD, I took the rock out (it was easy to remove), picked off the BA with an awl, rinsed in RO, then saltwater, and put it back in the tank. After awhile, little BA pods emerged on the rock. When I was using some Joe's Juice to treat aiptaisa, I squirted some on the BA pods - basically covering them completely. The next day, the pods were gone. Due to cost, I wouldn't recommend this for a big outbreak but once the BA is under control, it's worked for me to keep it gone.

I've heard several comments about issues with bubble algae but never the solution that I've found - by accident. When I had it BAD, I took the rock out (it was easy to remove), picked off the BA with an awl, rinsed in RO, then saltwater, and put it back in the tank. After awhile, little BA pods emerged on the rock. When I was using some Joe's Juice to treat aiptaisa, I squirted some on the BA pods - basically covering them completely. The next day, the pods were gone. Due to cost, I wouldn't recommend this for a big outbreak but once the BA is under control, it's worked for me to keep it gone.

Might try this. Really trying to avoid taking the rock out cause I will NEVER get it back the way I had it. Trying to get nutrients down first. I have been seeing some faded bubbles lately so that may be working... Thanks for the advice though.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

It looks really good! It will look even better as it all fills in.

Thanks. I am pretty happy with how things are coming along.

Ron

Looks good! How is your 10k league Lokani doing? My original super man is doing pretty good. But the blue berry rasberry milli is pretty much the same-although it is showing some signs of real color now, but not much...

Looks good! How is your 10k league Lokani doing? My original super man is doing pretty good. But the blue berry rasberry milli is pretty much the same-although it is showing some signs of real color now, but not much...

10K lokani did not make it. The hoeki is hanging tough and the plana is starting to show some color. Keep me posted on yours. Do you still have the efflo? If so hows it doing.

Ron

10K lokani did not make it. The hoeki is hanging tough and the plana is starting to show some color. Keep me posted on yours. Do you still have the efflo? If so hows it doing.

Ron

Too bad about the lokani, do you think it was due to shipping stress or something else? I still have the efflo, it is doing pretty good. Growing a bit slow but doing fine. You can see it in my general discussion thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/37457-a-few-new-pictures/

• 3 weeks later...

Tank was "intercepted" this AM. I used a half tablet. I thought the effects would look more immediately dramatic...I was standing by with my net at the ready to fish out corpses...completly uneventful after 45min or so. Alas I just got ready for and went to work.

I will have to fish out the cleaner and peppermint shrimp, perform the water change, and add carbon to the rx when I get home. Hopefully I will be on the road to recovery. I will keep you posted.

Ron

Tank was "intercepted" this AM. I used a half tablet. I thought the effects would look more immediately dramatic...I was standing by with my net at the ready to fish out corpses...completly uneventful after 45min or so. Alas I just got ready for and went to work.

I will have to fish out the cleaner and peppermint shrimp, perform the water change, and add carbon to the rx when I get home. Hopefully I will be on the road to recovery. I will keep you posted.

Ron

Good luck, I hope it works for you. How long are you intercepting? Did you pulverize the tablet?

Good luck, I hope it works for you. How long are you intercepting? Did you pulverize the tablet?

Pulverized the tablet with the back side of a spoon. I dissolved the powder in a cup of tank water. Disconnected Phos/Carbon Rx and the skimmer aspirator. I added the meds to the sump. We'll see how things looks when I get home. Total treatment will be about 12hrs.

Ron