Skimmer suggestion please!!

NamReefs

hi everyone !! i want to upgrade my skimmer HOB of my tank to get the skimmer in the sump but i dont really know which one is good. please anyone have experience about skimmer in the sump give me some suggestion. like which brand is good and save money, and how much skimmer in 100gallons i mean like how power is good enough. if i skimmer too much that has any problem with the tank??

thank alot everyone.

Nam

Opinions will vary when it comes to skimmers

very true!

I would recommend the Octopus Skimmer line. For 100g, I would recommend the Octopus NW200 skimmer. It's what I use on my 135g tank, and it's awesome.

Since you are on a budget, I would recommend Euro-reef or ASM. ASM GREATLY over ranks their skimmers tank capcity, where as Euro-reef is pretty much right on. Now, before the ASM lovers start whining, I'm basing this solely on personal experience. I've owned both ASM and Euro-reef. I would (and did) select a Euro-reef over an ASM any day. That being said, ASM does makes a decent skimmer, just doesn't perform as well as the euro-reef.

I know you said you wanted to save money......but the skimmer definately isn't the place to skimp.

Since you are on a budget, I would recommend Euro-reef or ASM. ASM GREATLY over ranks their skimmers tank capcity, where as Euro-reef is pretty much right on. Now, before the ASM lovers start whining, I'm basing this solely on personal experience. I've owned both ASM and Euro-reef. I would (and did) select a Euro-reef over an ASM any day. That being said, ASM does makes a decent skimmer, just doesn't perform as well as the euro-reef.

I know you said you wanted to save money......but the skimmer definately isn't the place to skimp.

How long could you have possibly run them? :biggrin:

+1 on ASM line. Cheap, easy to adjust, very reliable, easy to find replacement parts.

There was an interesting talk at macna by an organic chemist at penn state who did a nice controlled study showing what actually comes out of a skimmer. Best performance was from a downdraft and airstone skimmer, precision marine IIRC. Performance metric was simply the dry weight of what came out of the cup, with some analysis of the elemental breakdown of the organics. Most interesting was the amount of phosphorus removed in skimmate, it showed skimming to be very effective at reducing phosphate levels but only marginally effective at removing DOC.

The downdraft and airstone skimmers also happened to be the cheapest options, slightly outperforming the needlewheel designs in general efficacy but blowing them away in price/performance. It was something like 10:1 vs. the bubble king 180. Power consumption was not considered in the study, nor were aesthetics like noise, design, or maintainability which obviously play a role in the real world.

A very interesting slide showed comparisons of skimmate color and why they are not necessarily a good metric for skimmer performance. One photo showed a cup full of nearly black "skimmate" which contained something like 2.5oz of coffee, another cup had the same amount of straw-colored water (aka "weak skimmate"), but to prove a point, the author showed that the light solution contained nearly 10oz of brown sugar.

How long could you have possibly run them? :biggrin:

+1 on ASM line. Cheap, easy to adjust, very reliable, easy to find replacement parts.

I had the ASM G2 for 2 years and have run Euro-reefs for over 3 years.

There was an interesting talk at macna by an organic chemist at penn state who did a nice controlled study showing what actually comes out of a skimmer. Best performance was from a downdraft and airstone skimmer, precision marine IIRC. Performance metric was simply the dry weight of what came out of the cup, with some analysis of the elemental breakdown of the organics. Most interesting was the amount of phosphorus removed in skimmate, it showed skimming to be very effective at reducing phosphate levels but only marginally effective at removing DOC.

The downdraft and airstone skimmers also happened to be the cheapest options, slightly outperforming the needlewheel designs in general efficacy but blowing them away in price/performance. It was something like 10:1 vs. the bubble king 180. Power consumption was not considered in the study, nor were aesthetics like noise, design, or maintainability which obviously play a role in the real world.

A very interesting slide showed comparisons of skimmate color and why they are not necessarily a good metric for skimmer performance. One photo showed a cup full of nearly black "skimmate" which contained something like 2.5oz of coffee, another cup had the same amount of straw-colored water (aka "weak skimmate"), but to prove a point, the author showed that the light solution contained nearly 10oz of brown sugar.

Very interesting!!! Do they have the study online??

What PM where they using? one of the Bullet series?

I had the ASM G2 for 2 years and have run Euro-reefs for over 3 years.

My experience is the exact opposite. Haha. I ran a Euro Reef for a couple of years and am now running an ASM. I like the ASM better, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the Euro Reef too. ;)

Dandy (greyseaaquatics) has a very good cone skimmer that is insump for around 350 with the pump which would handle your tank as well. might be worth it if you want local service and support.

pm him here or email him for a quote based on your setup.

I would tell you to always oversize just a bit, so that you are not skimming at the very capacity of the skimmer but have some room to grow. I have an etss evo 750 that while giant and power thirsty, does certainly keep the water clear, would it be as good as some of the skimmers on the market now? probably not, but if you have the space/ pump a downdraft skimmer is a powerhouse. just not an efficient powerhouse always.

Edited by Jager

I have a AMS G2 that I have been running for a while and is now on my 72 and it does a pretty good job. I just got an I-tech 100 cone skimmer today, got a great deal on it, and am waiting to order the tunze pump for it soon to see how much of a performance difference there is. I'll definitely post up the results when I get the pump but the AMS G2 has been great for the money.

I just switched to a deltec and its pretty amazing... I have almost puked a few times when emptying the cup... can't really say that about the old downdraft...

Thanks for that. I for one am not surprised at all.

This is a hobby in which people get carried away with fancy names, "new technology", interesting "looks", and high prices, and just assume something is better. Quite often incorrectly and/or with no good basis.

But did they talk at all to the comparison of the different in-sump/recirc needlewheel options? I know that when I went from an ASM to a Euro-reef, it was pulling more skimmate out and the improvement to water quality was visibly noticable........and the skimmate was slightly darker. When I moved the Euroreef to my frag tank and put the Deltec on, I didn't notice any visible change in water clarity, but the Deltec pulled the same amount of skimmate and it was a lot darker. So, If you're dealing with the same tank and bio-load, what does it say when one skimmer will pull darker, thicker skimmate than another?

Learning - Not trying to hijack your thread.......just hoping to provide some clarity for everyone and hopefully help you make a better choice.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Figured I would just tag along. Recommendations on where to get an ASM G2 at a good price?

Trying to compare the following for a 72g+20:

-ASM G2

-MSX 200

-Eshopps PSK 200

-Coralife Super 220

-Octopus NWB 200

Figured I would just tag along. Recommendations on where to get an ASM G2 at a good price?

PM some of our vendors in the "vendors" section and see what they can offer. I got my G3 from Nadir at fishnreef.com.

I just switched to a deltec and its pretty amazing... I have almost puked a few times when emptying the cup... can't really say that about the old downdraft...

Same here: My wife accused my dog of taking a dump somewhere in the house today when I cleaned the cup today on my Deltec; the dog was much safer in my downdraft days. Granted, I upsized tank capacity with the switch to my Deltec, but IMO Deltec is in a different league. My 2 cents.

Trying to compare the following for a 72g+20:

-ASM G2

-MSX 200

-Eshopps PSK 200

-Coralife Super 220

-Octopus NWB 200

they are sold used on RC quite regularly as well.