Dwarf Angel

Stu

I've decided that I'd like a dwarf angel of some kind to give my tank some extra movement. It's a 30gal cube (~20x20x20), so space is a concern here. When I had this same tank set up a while ago, I had a cherub angel (Centropyge Argi) that was a model citizen and did very well until I had to break the tank down. So a cherub seems like the obvious answer. Only problem is I would love the colors of a flame/ coral beauty/ potters, etc. While these seem to be completely hit or miss as far as coral and clam compatibility go, would one be a better candidate than another? Are any of these going to be too big for my tank? Filtration and skimming aren't an issue, just size of the tank.

I've decided that I'd like a dwarf angel of some kind to give my tank some extra movement. It's a 30gal cube (~20x20x20), so space is a concern here. When I had this same tank set up a while ago, I had a cherub angel (Centropyge Argi) that was a model citizen and did very well until I had to break the tank down. So a cherub seems like the obvious answer. Only problem is I would love the colors of a flame/ coral beauty/ potters, etc. While these seem to be completely hit or miss as far as coral and clam compatibility go, would one be a better candidate than another? Are any of these going to be too big for my tank? Filtration and skimming aren't an issue, just size of the tank.

I'd be worried about swiming room for the angel, I've read the minimal length of the tank for any angel is 4' or else they will get stressed and die. Just what I've read, I have no actual experience with angels.

I'd be worried about swiming room for the angel, I've read the minimal length of the tank for any angel is 4' or else they will get stressed and die. Just what I've read, I have no actual experience with angels.

Those would be the large angels, dwarf angels are easier and don't require much room and are PERFECT as a small tank "centerpiece" fish.

I personally would just go with the potters because those are my favorite dwarfs, but it really is hit or miss. From my experience and from the experience of others, I'd say it's more than just hit or miss, it's more like 75/25 that they won't pick at the coral. And that 75 just goes up if you keep them well fed. One BIG thing that I've seen is never to leave them unfed for too long a period. This could turn a model citizen into a coral/clam eating nightmare.

Just my .02

I am in the process of re-homing my coral beauty. NON-STOP coral nipper despite twice daily feedings. I hear others are fine reef citizens. Mine wasn't.

Laura

I have a 30 gallon biocube with a pygmy cherub angel (centropygae argi) who shares the tank with a pair of ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby (my avatar). I remember being told that my tank wasn't large enough for him (not by anyone here though, I think) but it seems like he's got plenty of space. I love the little guy, he is tiny but a real stunner, especially when he catches the light just right. I have caught him nipping lightly at one of my leathers and a couple of zoanthids a few times, but the corals don't show any signs of distress so I'm not particularly concerned. Anyway, you've had one yourself so you probably know all this already :)

I originally wanted a flame angel but decided my tank wasn't quite big enough. Perhaps if the angel was very small and there weren't any other fish in there, but I would still worry about swimming room. Of course, I am by no means an expert so maybe it would work well. If you do get one, please, post about it! I couldn't find any accounts of someone trying to keep one in a tank that size when I was researching my options.

Oh the times I sat and thought of ways to murder my Coral Beauty...

(I gave it away)

Edited by audible

Lemonpeel angel + Expensive zoas = Angry reefer (in a 220G). Had a flame in a 50G hex many moons ago (well less than 4', was taller than wide which the LFS told me was ideal for a reef [NOT!]) who was happy and an ideal citizen w/ both softies and LPS.

I've had 2 cherub angels (not at same time) and neither one harmed corals.

According to the angelfish lecture, angels are less likely to go after corals that are very healthy and thus not producing anything that would attract the fish. This is why I'm holding off on getting a different species of angel right now, but will get one in the future. I have a question regarding this which I think I should post in a separate thread.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I recently purchased a Centropyge Argi and he is all healthy and everything but he would not come out from behind the rocks and he does not seem to come eat with my other fish when I feed them.

Is there any way to bring him to the front of the tank? Or any special food that he cannot resist so he will be social and dine with the others???

Thanks!

How long have you had it? I would give it a couple of days to acclimate to the new surroundings on tankmates. Keep feeding the tank. I would guess hunger will finally get him out and about. Nori or mysis may be a good choice for food.

Ron

The ones that I had were quite bold and curious, even somewhat pugnacious. If you don't have any aggressive fish in the tank, I don't think it's normal for "most" cherub angels to hide like that. If he doesn't appear sick and isn't being picked on and chased, he probably just needs time to adapt.

live food always seems to entice fish out but he should be fine for a couple days as he gets used to the tank.

Thanks everyone for their answers. He does not seem sick or anything. He picks at stuff and eats the food that floats his way :)

Roni, live food such as... brine shrimp?