Attaching leather corals

dmatt56

Hello everyone,

Can I attach a green leather coral to a rock using the 2-part epoxy? I thought I'd ask if the epoxy would bother the coral since it will be touching a little bit of the stalk.

Looking forward to your advice on attaching the green leather.

Thanks,

Matt

It sholdn't hurt it, but it will probably not stick. I have tried super glue multiple times and it only holds for a few hours at most. Best bet is to hold it down somehow and let it attach itself.

Hello everyone,

Can I attach a green leather coral to a rock using the 2-part epoxy? I thought I'd ask if the epoxy would bother the coral since it will be touching a little bit of the stalk.

Thanks,

Matt

I've used a needle and thread on a plug and netting or a rubberband around a rock. glue and epoxy have never worked for me.

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Matt

I've used a needle and thread on a plug and netting or a rubberband around a rock. glue and epoxy have never worked for me.

The base of the leather is already hard. I was hoping that I could get that to make it stick - or make almost a small sheath to hold it in place.

Matt

Okay, so try this...

1-add glue to the base

2-attach epoxy onto glue to base

3-add glue to the epoxy and attach onto whatever surface you want. Hold for a few seconds until it's attached.

This should should work.

.....and yes you can use epoxy as long as it is epoxy that is safe for aquarium use.

The base of the leather is already hard. I was hoping that I could get that to make it stick - or make almost a small sheath to hold it in place.

Matt

Edited by Jan

The real issue here is your use of 2 part epoxy. Are you talking about Aquastick or the actual 2 part liquid epoxy? If it's the latter, you shouldn't use it inside your tank because of toxicity issues. If it's Aquastick, that stuff is for gluing rocks and such.

The real issue here is your use of 2 part epoxy. Are you talking about Aquastick or the actual 2 part liquid epoxy? If it's the latter, you shouldn't use it inside your tank because of toxicity issues. If it's Aquastick, that stuff is for gluing rocks and such.

Sorry, yes, it's the Aquastick, reef safe 2 part epoxy. I purchased it from House of Tropicals.

Well, here goes nothing!

Matt

It will probably shed the layer of skin stuck to the epoxy and float free. Cotton thread works best, just wrap it tight around the leather and a small rock a few times, then a drop of glue to hold the strands of thread together. Much less messy than epoxy.

It will probably shed the layer of skin stuck to the epoxy and float free. Cotton thread works best, just wrap it tight around the leather and a small rock a few times, then a drop of glue to hold the strands of thread together. Much less messy than epoxy.

+1 in agreement with justin. See how it goes and if it does detach go with the thread. it works!

• 4 weeks later...

Find a piece of rock with an appropriately sized/shaped hole, and then stick the end of the coral in the hole. This is a good reason to have very porous liverock.

I just use a good amount of coral glue then when I placed the leather on the glue I put additional glue around the base. I waited a few seconds then dipped it in water then put it back into the tank a few seconds later. I kept it in a low flow area for a couple of weeks so the base doesn't come off and the leather has time to also attach to the rock. It is holding up strong now in a moderate to high flow area.

I've always just used a rubberband with no probalems. Once its attahced (and usually grows over the rubberband, a week or so) i just cut the band and slide it out!