Tank Overflow problem

mchippo

Can someone help me with a solution to my tank overflow problem? Here is the situation and a possible solution I am considering.

I have two 8" x 10" corner overflows on my tank. Water flows over the top (rather than through underwater slots) to enter the overflow reservoir and drains that lead to my sump. I have lost more fish than I can count that go over the top and into my sump. They go into filter socks where the flow kills them after a few hours. I have tried teeth /comb / filter mesh along the top edges of the overflow but all that has done is raise my water level dangerously close to the top of the tank. To complicate matters, My tank and overflows are glass and I have Euro bracing of 3" all the way around the top. I have tried putting a grate across the top of the overflow (egg crate) but all that did was create a fish fry for fish that land on the crate and bake under my lights. I lost a pair of Picasso Clowns that way. :sad:

The solution I am considering is having custom acrylic fittings fabricated for each overflow edge that forms a gate to prevent water from overflowing and forces it instead up through slots cut into the bottom of the gate. It is a little hard to describe, but I can visualize what I need. Anyone with a potential solution is welcome to come over and see the tank and situation.

Are there other solutions I have not considered or thought about? If I go the acrylic route....can someone out there help me fabricate what I need. Your help is much appreciated, Dave

How about if you put the egg-crate 'vertical' along the sides of the overflow, and extending up to the bracing - and even higher than that where it's not under the bracing? Wouldn't that keep the fish out? And if the egg-crate slows your flow down so much as to make it overflow the tank - see posting above from Leishman.

bob

How about if you put the egg-crate 'vertical' along the sides of the overflow, and extending up to the bracing - and even higher than that where it's not under the bracing? Wouldn't that keep the fish out? And if the egg-crate slows your flow down so much as to make it overflow the tank - see posting above from Leishman.

bob

Leishman and lanman are spot on. You can also make the vertical fence out of gutter guard material.

I have been anticipating similar problems with the overflows I now have in both tanks. I was thinking about using a strip of acrylic or glass that is only in direct contact with the top of the overflow on the ends, so there would be a vertical slot too narrow for the fish to go through unless they swam sideways.

Thanks for the ideas but..

lowering the flow rate would not solve the fish over the top of the overflow problem ...and the sump is where all my filtration is. I like a high turnover rate through the sump...

Egg crate will not prevent small fish from going through. My two Picassos were about a half inch. I have lost neon, sharknose, clown and yellow goby's as well. All small fish that egg crate will not stop. I have used a the gutter guard and finer mesh material (cross stitch plastic grid) but that clogs fast with algae and raises the tank water level.

Trust me, I have tried many things to stop the carnage but feel the only way left is build a fence to prevent over the top entry and direct the water through under water slits.

Treesprite and I are on the same track...

bdb33a5b.jpg

This is just a sample using a little piece of the back plastic strip from an old glass tank cover which no longer exists. All you do is cut off the edge that fits over the glass except at the ends (if the overflow is glass, it will fit nice and snug), cut big enough section out to get the flow you still want while making it small enough to keep fishies from swimming through. Now if only I could find the strip that goes to the 36" glass cover I have no use for, I could make these for my overflows for real.

Edited by treesprite

Did you do anything to fix the problem yet? I found my 36" strip and made a top for both overflows early this morning, because yesterday there was a snail in a pipe which caused a flood. We're just testing fate leaving these things un-guarded.

Can you post a photo of what are your talking about? I recall you were at my house last week. Did you see how I placed a peice of acrylic on my over flow. So far I have had only one fish fall into the over flow box area.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider separately getting rid of the filter sock [prob adding to nitrate burden unless you are changing religiously] and adding some liverock to the sump for refuge for the occasional marauder.