Blue Zoo Aqautics

wdytat

I'm trying to setup a mantis tank and wanted some items for my current tank.

BZA had some decent prices, and the site said they had a peacock mantis in stock at the time. So I placed an order for livestock at bluezooaquatics.com on August 24 - including a young peacock mantis, some snails, a tuxedo urchin, and a few other items.

I got a call the next day (the day it was supposed to ship) from Mike and was told the current stock of mantis looked bad and they didn't want to ship them, but preferred to have me wait or swap to another mantis species they have. I didn't want to swap species. I expressed my concern that their site said they had a product, but couldn't send it, so felt I was being put out with nothing in return - not even a discount on shipping. Their response was that they could send it to me, but it would be dead when I get it. Umm. Yeah. That's what I want. They even took the low road and said that is what other online vendors would do. What? That actually put a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

In any event, after further discussion with Mike, I agreed to wait and was told they would follow up in a few days (when they expected another shipment). Even since then, I have received excuse after excuse - didn't get any in, shipment got lost overseas, etc. But I still have nothing to show. They had a half price shipping deal since my order was submitted, and they did finally give in and give me that. But then they had a free shipping deal last week, but I didn't get that luxury.

I've passed on mantis offers from a few of the LFS since I already submitted my order. I'm not in a hurry, but I did pay for a product they said they had, and I'm empty handed. They won't even send me the other items on their own dime, while they wait for a mantis to come in. All I keep seeing about BZA is how great their customer support is and how they take care of folks, but I feel I'm getting neglected. The price is nice, and they have the other items I want. Just tired of waiting.

So I guess it boils down to the question I've been bouncing around is how long of a wait is too long?

I have always had great luck with them and there livestock. The are right about other vendors shipping out sick items and i think thats grat they dont ship something that doesnt look sick but the whole waiting thing does suck. Ask them to cancel your order and look for a local vendor to get one for you. Thats probably your best chance right now.

If the LFSs had everything I had in my order, I would have canceled over a week ago. I live so far from all the LFSs that it has to be worth my trip. BZA had good prices. The urchin was half the cost I've seen at LFSs. The Star Astraeas were cheap. Then again, the mantis on its own is cheaper at some of our LFSs. But I am hoping to get a young one and the LFSs only seem to get the larger ones in.

I called all the LFSs prior to placing my order, and no one had mantis in stock - even Roozens. Now they all seem to have them. I saw the one in the Marine Scene newsletter, and F&F has contacted me about the ones they have. They just don't have the other stuff on my list in right now - then again, I could have had them order the other stuff by now. I want to give BZA a chance, but 2.5 weeks is crazy - going to be at least 3 since they moved my ship date to next Tuesday now.

I think I'll wait it out until Monday. If they call with another delay, I'll be back to calling the LFSs.

I was on their site about 2 weeks ago looking at a few things. I created an account and added some things to my basket. Then I decided not to go ahead with the order. The next day i got a call from Mike asking me why I didn't place the order. I thought that was strange and very telling. They're hurting, just like everyone else. I have to wonder if they're even getting any livestock in?

You're very nice to wait like this, too nice. They should have refunded your money for the Mantis with a note letting you know that they'd notify you when a better shipment arrived. What's preventing them from shipping the other items? Service and quality is all these guys have at this point. Everyone is so competative right now because more than most of us just don't have the money to spend on a luxary like this. I don't know but this sounds to me like they need to hold on to every penny.

3 weeks with nothing, not even an offer to make good with a discount, is inexcusable for me. But you have to do what your gut tells you to do, you have to do what makes you feel comfortable. I wish you luck.

If the LFSs had everything I had in my order, I would have canceled over a week ago. I live so far from all the LFSs that it has to be worth my trip. BZA had good prices. The urchin was half the cost I've seen at LFSs. The Star Astraeas were cheap. Then again, the mantis on its own is cheaper at some of our LFSs. But I am hoping to get a young one and the LFSs only seem to get the larger ones in.

I called all the LFSs prior to placing my order, and no one had mantis in stock - even Roozens. Now they all seem to have them. I saw the one in the Marine Scene newsletter, and F&F has contacted me about the ones they have. They just don't have the other stuff on my list in right now - then again, I could have had them order the other stuff by now. I want to give BZA a chance, but 2.5 weeks is crazy - going to be at least 3 since they moved my ship date to next Tuesday now.

I think I'll wait it out until Monday. If they call with another delay, I'll be back to calling the LFSs.