Suggestions needed right away

treesprite

See... more reasons than one that you are living in the wrong place. If you lived down here in civilized Virginia - I'd lend you my pickup truck! I mean - everyone in Virginia has a spare pickup truck!

bob

Forrest, you find the tank and I'm sure we can find a way to get it to your place.

Edited by Origami2547

I guess I will ask for help to move one when I get one. I've been debating whether or not I will need help moving tank stuff when I move out of here - a question for another thread is what to consider when moving.

Got my glass back yesterday. They took 7" off the top, then from the top piece cut off a 14" piece where the holes were. I need to figure this out now. At the moment I'm focusing on getting all the residue from the old silicone off the glass, because that residue is what would screw up a new sealing job. I'll put in the main piece, let that cure, then figure out where to go from there (if anywhere). I don't want to rush myself into a disaster. Maybe I'll be lucky and have another tank by the time I figure this one out.

Which glass place did you go to? Would you go back? I don't have anything planned at the moment, but if I were to come up with a project in the future, I'd like to know what local options I have.

Which glass place did you go to? Would you go back? I don't have anything planned at the moment, but if I were to come up with a project in the future, I'd like to know what local options I have.

Gaithersburg Glass Company on East Diamond Ave in Gaithersburg across from the tractor dealership. They have been around for as long as I can remember, and they do a lot of business. I don;t know enough about glass to know how well they "know their stuff". They did know what Starfire glass is....

I'll make an observation here, take it or leave it, it's up to you. This is just my feeling, not going to go back to old threads to make a laundry list of where and when things happened.

Forrest, when you seek advice, you seem to not like it when people give you advice that doesn't fit what you want to accomplish. When you get irritated, you lash out at people. Sure, people have lashed out at you, too, but you know what they say about people who live in glass houses (pun intended here). When you cast blanket aspersions on people when you're angry about something and go off on rants (and despite not using the profanity you use the letter over and over again - what's the difference between using it and suggesting using it when there's some youngsters on here - none), it does nothing to help the community out. My suggestion is that you exercise some better judgment here. This thread was about what you should do and you were given a lot of sound advice but went with what you wanted to do. My impression of this entire thread, and it could be wrong but an impression is what it is, is that you knew what you wanted to do, you wanted someone to validate your opinion, and then when no one did and people were critical of your solution, you got angry. Again, this is not something that I know for a fact, it's just the feeling I get from this thread and how you responded to others. Remember, you had another thread in which you asked for what to do, got some sound advice on both ends of the spectrum and everything in between, and then you went ahead and did what you wanted and cut off the back panel without having a plan for where to go from there. You said yourself this tank was scratched up and ready for the trash, so why put money into it for the time being? Again, the feeling I get, right or wrong, is that you are simply looking for someone to justify your opinion in this thread. You've gotten the advice already, but you didn't take it (CoralHind gave you some good examples and I believe DaveS offered further explanation on his). Remember, you're seeking advice and people are trying to help, regardless of how it comes off to you.

There have been a total of 2 subjects in which there have been completely different and un-related reasons for me to give the responses that I did - there is no connection or pattern, unless of course you can come up with some more examples that have nothing to do with fixing the tank or making a light fixture.

A.

In this instance regarding the tank fixing (including the combination of this & the Gen Dis thread on subject - they are the same topic), people have given opposite information in mine versus other people's threads that involved related or similar subjects. No justification has been given for why people are seeing me as less able to acomplish something than anyone else, other than the fact that I have had "bad luck" which is a prejudicial point. If people are prejudicial based on an assumption about my experience or skill level, they need to just come right out and give it as honest feedback instead of speaking contrary to history. Some people were basing their statements on the fact that I really need to just get a new tank, which is certainly true and the suggestions quite valid and helpful UP TO the point that I made it clear that I can't get one at this time, but people continued to make the statements. The reason I broke the thread to move it to DIY was to re-direct it to get tank fixing suggestions and eliminate the discrepencies (which obviouwsly didn't work).

B.

Intent of comments made by a specific person on the light fixture thread made the points not legitimate - had anyone else said them I would have had no problem with them. I may or may not have told him in the past to not respond to my threads. By turning that around on me you are feeding into his attitude and behavior.

I am still looking for examples of external overflows - can't find any.

People have given opposite because of what is involved in this. You're fairly new to DIY in regards to putting tanks together, and that's not an easy thing to do to begin with. If you look at a lot of the people who have done tanks themselves, most have had to redo it several times. If you're concerned with cost, then why do something that chances are you're going to have to redo? Look at some of the tanks that were redone out there that either didn't work or had to be redone yet again? Look at Steve Outlaw's tank from Glass Cages - didn't that one end up in pieces as scrap? Then how about... can't remember the name of the person, but he's got a 450 or something like that glass tank that he bought from Lawnboy I think and had to redo it more than once. Every person who has counseled you not to take this on was thinking of you, not being rude.

In regards to comments made by a specific person, you're inviting those by bringing that up. If you have a problem with someone, simply turn on the ignore function and you'll never see any of that person's posts or receive any IMs or anything like that - easy as pie. I'm not turning anything around on you, you admitted yourself that you weren't very nice to people and their suggestions. If anything, I addressed a point that I felt you weren't being fair in your thread and your response and it seems to me that it's happening more lately. As a member of this community, I was offended by how you responded to others, people who took a lot of time to respond to you.

As far as external overflows, I did a search and found Dandy's old thread on his 54 corner and Chip's A-Farm and refugium. All three of those have external overflows and all three were done by them. By the way, if you already cut the glass apart, you don't have to do the overflow externally any longer, you can also do it internally, although it's not going to look very nice since you have to add glass to where you cut it off. You can use a mail slot like CoralHind did on his tank or do just about any other type of overflow you want.