Is this something I should be worrying about?

capsfan

My cream colony recently wouldn't open and when I took it out, some of the polyps exploded. :eek:

Now some of my dragon eyes wouldn't open and I moved some to my 55 gallon in hopes that they would. I also have seen some suspicious looking marks on the polyps that I have photographed. Is this something I should be worried about?

zoapox001.jpg

zoapox002.jpg

zoapox005.jpg

(edited)

The white blotchy spots may be "Zoa Pox". Polyps affected by pox will recede and eventually die.

Edited by zoozilla

I've had zoas completely close up and disappear over the course of a year. I think it was caused by improper placement in the DT. Some of the surrounding colonies do fine right next to the ones that fade away.

I have never seen "zoa pox"- only heard other people talk about it.

Zoa's are kinda finiky. I found some colonies really enjoy light and some really enjoy the bottom of the tank were there is less light. I'm currently experimenting with my Ice blue zoa's seeing were they would most perfer the light.

I was actually talking about the purple blobs, but thanks! I didn't notice the white spots before you mentioned it.

The first pic looks like zoa pox. I dip using API Furan 2. Directions are found here.

I'll second that. I had zoa pox a while back, and everything was closing up and dying off. Did the Furan dip, and everything was back to normal in a week or so.

I see kind of the same thing happen to some of my zoas. Some of them, with no cyano or white spots, recede when the zoas next to them are thriving. I asked Colin at Coralmorphologic and this is what he replied:

"Zoanthids can be finicky, strange creatures sometimes; clearly not all zoas are created equal.... I've read some scientific papers that suggest that in the wild zoanthids can be 'seasonal', in that they go through a rapid growth phase, followed by a phase where they can die back for no apparent reason. So I suppose that it is possible that even under ideal conditions certain zoas will die back...

I wish that I had a more concrete answer for you, but even we find ourselves scratching our heads with certain zoas. Some just seem to be hardier than others. An example is the Great Gatsby People Eaters. These are very hardy and relatively fast growing (for a people eater). However, the neon green people eaters and red people eaters we have found (super rare) seem to shrink in size over time and don't grow much while in captivity. In theory they should be the same species, but in practice they couldn't be more different..."

Your mileage might vary, but overall it seems that zoas are more delicate than we think and sometimes will die for no apparent reason.

It's going to be difficult to dip the colonies b/c they are all on that rock.

Blow the cyano off with a turkey baster. if it keeps coming back - move to an area with higher flow. If you can't move, get a little 'nano' powerhead and point it across them.

bob

Mine were doing something similiar. I stopped adding kalk to my topoff water and they opened back up after a couple of weeks. May not be related.

i also found i got cyano when my lights were getting old...