SPS Polyp Extention

Jarosh

I've been getting decent growth, but have concerns about a lack of polyp extention in my SPS. I never thought much about it until recently I picked up a millie frag. Everything was all nice and fuzzy for the first few days, but then they slowly retreated and havent been the same. Anyone have any info on possible causes? Tank parameters are fine based off my test kits, but I'm looking to upgrade them since they are over a year old. Currently pruning fuge (20 gal filled with cheato) every 3 weeks, and have gotten to the point where my skimmer doesnt pull much except after feedings.

Potentially looking to add some carbon to the routine, in the event my leathers or zoas are possibly poluting the water.

Any thoughts would be great.

(edited)

What fish do you have in the tank? What type of lights?

I had the same problem and everybody told me it was my Dwarf Angels. I got rid of them and know i have pretty decent polyp extention.

Edited by lhcorals

Thanks for posting Jarosh, I have the exact same problem! I bought a new milli that looksed great at the lfs and now I've got very little polyp extension. My green slimer used to be a a big fuzzy mess, now, nothing. I also have new growth, and I have a coral beauty that does like to pick.....

Hmmmm....

Thanks guys!

Laura

I've been getting decent growth, but have concerns about a lack of polyp extention in my SPS. I never thought much about it until recently I picked up a millie frag. Everything was all nice and fuzzy for the first few days, but then they slowly retreated and havent been the same. Anyone have any info on possible causes? Tank parameters are fine based off my test kits, but I'm looking to upgrade them since they are over a year old. Currently pruning fuge (20 gal filled with cheato) every 3 weeks, and have gotten to the point where my skimmer doesnt pull much except after feedings.

Potentially looking to add some carbon to the routine, in the event my leathers or zoas are possibly poluting the water.

Any thoughts would be great.

Come get a frag of Leishman's red tabling acro. If THAT doesn't extend polyps - you have a problem. :)

bob

Thanks for posting Jarosh, I have the exact same problem! I bought a new milli that looksed great at the lfs and now I've got very little polyp extension. My green slimer used to be a a big fuzzy mess, now, nothing. I also have new growth, and I have a coral beauty that does like to pick.....

Hmmmm....

Thanks guys!

Laura

If you can trap the coral beauty and put it in a q-tank for a few weeks, then you can see if it is that fish. I had a flame angel that did not appear to pick at all but when i finally removed him i had great polyp extension.

Coral beauty free to a good (non sps) home :)

Thanks all, as soon as I get home I'm going to try and catch the angel.

Hey Jarosh, let me know what you do and if it works!

Laura

Coral beauty free to a good (non sps) home :)

Thanks all, as soon as I get home I'm going to try and catch the angel.

Hey Jarosh, let me know what you do and if it works!

Laura

Good luck catching him/her. When you do you will see a difference. It only took about 4 days and my polyps were out really nice.

I have a flame angel that I picked up a few weeks ago from a very heavily stocked SPS system. Looks like he will be taking a vacation for a few weeks until I can figure this out.

Thanks for all the good info so far guys.

Maybe the coral is just reacting to water conditions. SPS take time to acclimate themselves to their surroundings. I have a coral beauty in a heavily stocked SPS tank with no adverse effects.

If you don't actually see the coral beauty nipping, it is probably something else.

(edited)
Come get a frag of Leishman's red tabling acro. If THAT doesn't extend polyps - you have a problem. :)

bob

Well bob, unfortunatly that is the one I'm referring to. :cry: But In a tribute to shark week, I've created a mini shark cage out of egg crate to see if either my angel or foxface maybe pestering the red tabling acro. So far that proved a lot easier than catching the fish. So if things turn around, I know to find a new home for these fish when I move everything into my 130 gal in a month of so..

Edited by Jarosh

Good news! I trapped my Coral Beauty Angel and moved it to my frag tank (which has very little in it. )

I fashioned a super - sophisticated patent -pending fish trap and over the course of three days lured the fish into the trap and grabbed him up this morning. I will now start the countdown to see if I get some polyp extension!

You can see my device here: Super Sophisticated Fish Trap

Available for rent for $300 / day. Or you can make your own for about $.35.

Thanks for the advice.

Laura