steveoutlaw's 60g All-in-One Cube

(edited)

I've been working on this one for a few months while all my stuff sits in a 40g breeder.

Current home:

60gAll-in-onecube017.jpg

The tank is a Perfecto 60g cube (they made me a custom tank that truly holds 60g.....see full story on that here: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30975). I had glass cut to build a sump to make the tank an all-in-one. Here is the cut glass and the beginning of the assembly:

60gCubeAIO006.jpg

60gCubeAIO007.jpg

I bought the smallest H&S in-sump skimmer that is rated for up to a 100g tank so I figure it can handle a heavily stocked 60g.

60gCubeAIO003.jpg

60gCubeAIO004.jpg

Skimmer in action (I'm really impressed what this little guy pulls out):

60gAll-in-onecube018.jpg

I had Ybenormal make me a tabletop style stand......but it was made to the 24x24x24 specs I gave him.........well, the custom tank is 25w x 26d x 24h. So, I'm thinking about getting some 3/4" plywood and cutting it to fit the tank dimensions and using an oak trim to hide it. This is the only solution I can come up with. Here are pics of the stand:

60gAll-in-onecube015.jpg

60gAll-in-onecube016.jpg

Here is the start of the installation of the sump:

View from the back:

60gAll-in-oneCube008.jpg

Bubble baffles leading to the return chamber (return pump will be an Aquaclear 70 - 400gph)"

60gAll-in-oneCube009.jpg

Overflow chamber:

60gAll-in-oneCube012.jpg

Topdown view:

60gAll-in-oneCube011.jpg

The in-tank sump is going to be hidden by a foam rock wall:

Front panel (the visible eggcrate is the actual overflow):

60gAll-in-oneCube013.jpg

Sort of Top down view:

60gAll-in-oneCube014.jpg

I'll have more soon when I put in the rock wall.

Edited by steveoutlaw

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan-

I get about 1/4 cup a week like that every week out of the 40g breeder. I'm hoping that once I get the 60g up and running that it won't overwhelm the skimmer.......I don't want to be emptying it every 3 days!

James-

When I get back in town this weekend I'll be mounting the rock wall and hopefully have water in it by the following weekend. I'll keep posting pics of the progress.

Is this the 60g that you took completely apart and resealed?

Nope. Unfortunately my wife is leary of the rimless tanks. She thought that it would come apart and spill all over the floor. Right after I sold it I found that Perfecto was offering a 60g cube with a rim on it.

Nope. Unfortunately my wife is leary of the rimless tanks. She thought that it would come apart and spill all over the floor. Right after I sold it I found that Perfecto was offering a 60g cube with a rim on it.

Good find in Petco.

Looks good. I was really impressed until I saw the foam/rock wall. Never been a fan of it. Thats just my opinion though. Looks like a great tank. Congrats!

Chris - I've never been a big fan of them either. However, I did see one on a small tank where the back wall had SPS growing all over it so you could barely see the wall itself. This is my goal with this one.........hide the sump and have more area to put SPS. Also, if I don't like it, I can always take it out.

Caps - I'm going to be covering the wall with epoxy and putting dried aragonite on it. I'm also going to be drilling some holes at a 45 degree angle so I can put frag plugs with SPS into it. I'm hoping for a good turnout.

OK, so I've had a brief setback. I was filling the tank with water to test the flow of the sump and the 1/8" main sump wall glass cracked....@#$%@#$%!!

So, I'm having a piece of 3/8" glass cut today to use as the main sump wall and will see how that goes. I'm still hoping to get the rockwall siliconed in this weekend after doing a water test.

More to follow.

OK, so I've had a brief setback. I was filling the tank with water to test the flow of the sump and the 1/8" main sump wall glass cracked....@#$%@#$%!!

All (3) 1/8" baffles in my original sump cracked eventually. That stuff is weak.

I went to 1/4" acrylic (had Lowe's cut it for me), and haven't looked back.

Wait.....did I say 3/8"? No, no.....I meant 1/4". What do you mean you've already cut it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Well, I am going to have one solid, muther@#@#$ sump. I said 3/8" when I should have said 1/4".....now the glass for my sump is as thick as the glass for the whole tank......go figure. More to come!!

Ok........well, I got the sump put in and did a water test and......SUCCESS! It ran as quiet as can be too. Here are a couple of pics:

The sump:

60gAIOCube001.jpg

60gAIOCube002.jpg

Filling it up:

60gAIOCube003.jpg

60gAIOCube004.jpg

And finally, in action:

60gAIOCube006.jpg

60gAIOCube005.jpg

It's Rockwall installation weekend. I'm putting the main panel on today and will be putting the side panels on tomorrow. I'm hoping to start putting water in it by Monday or Tuesday.

Here are a couple of pics of the main panel:

Front view (the exposed eggcrate is the overflow area)

Rockwall001.jpg

Side view

Rockwall002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We have liftoff!

I got water in the tank and transferred over some of the live rock from my current holding tank to supplement the dry rock arch I made. This is my first attempt at aquascaping it and I kind of like it. What do you think?

60gall-in-one001.jpg

60gall-in-one002.jpg

60gall-in-one003.jpg

60gall-in-one004.jpg

60gall-in-one005.jpg

Now I just have to wait for the corraline to start forming on the back wall and arch.

So what skimmer did you end up going with?

I've got the H&S in there right now. I got the skimmer from Dan but I told him I had 6" clearance in the sump........kinda forgot about the silicone beads on the sump wall and on the back tank wall. Wanna buy a skimmer?? :biggrin: