Glen's 250 Gallon upgrade

After an incredible chain reaction caused by a pump failure on my old skimmer that resulted in 50+ gallons of water on the floor, I've decided to completely rework my tank setup. I had a 180g tank that was pretty much fish only for the past two years (one fish for most of that time LOL). I've decided to get back in the reef scene big time. I'm currently building a system that will be a little under 400 gallons total. Here's some info on the setup along with a few photos. So far, I have everything I need except the display tank. Hopefully I'll have that crucial piece within the next two weeks.

Display tank

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Glenn, Good to see you back on the boards. Let me know if you need any help i am just down the road.

Also if you want to see what i did with my 210 and plumbing you are more than welcome to come over.

Looking forward to see more pics.

Sweet Glenn, Good to see you back on the boards. Let me know if you need any help i am just down the road.

Also if you want to see what i did with my 210 and plumbing you are more than welcome to come over.

Looking forward to see more pics.

I'll take you up on that when the tank arrives :). I'll shoot you a PM, I'd liek to see your setup also.

Set-up sounds good. Why not switch the Tunzes for 2 Vortech MP40's?

Because I've been using Tunzes for years, and I like the fact that I can program them using the aquacontroller + aquawave.

Sorry to hear about the flood. Glad you didn't throw in the towel but went bigger :clap:

Sweet set up btw. I really like the Marineland tanks especially the depth.

What's the height of your DIY stand? I find Marineland stands a bit too short for ease of access/maintenance underneath the tank.

What's the height of your DIY stand? I find Marineland stands a bit too short for ease of access/maintenance underneath the tank.

Yeah, the Marineland stands are way too short. I think we decided on around 40" on the height of the stand. My biggest issue with my old stand, was that I couldn't remove the collection cur for my skimmer. I had to balance it on the side of the sump and let it drain into another container.

As for the flood :biggrin: My skimmer overflowed and shorted out the circulation pump. The shorted circulation pump tripped the GFI. Power was cut to the tank. The check valves failed and dumped a bunch of water into the sump. finally the sump overflowed from the excess tank water. All this time the flood alarm was going of but for some reason, I thought it was the TV. I finally checked on it after about 30 minutes.

I couldn't have planned it better LOL. What started out as a skimmer replacement has turned into a major summer project. Hopefully the end is near.

Sucks that flood happened, but now you have an excuse to upgrade. I have been looking into getting one of Perfecto's 300 gallon tanks. It is the same dimensions just 6 feet wide instead of 5. Just curious who you ordered the tank through and when it is suppose to come in? Oh, and I'm really digging the gray color walls. Do you remember the name of the paint?

Marine-land deep dimension 250 Gallon 60x36x27 Starfire on the front and both sides.

Nice tank size. I bought a shorter version 150g 36x36x27. I wish i had a bigger room!

Sucks that flood happened, but now you have an excuse to upgrade. I have been looking into getting one of Perfecto's 300 gallon tanks. It is the same dimensions just 6 feet wide instead of 5. Just curious who you ordered the tank through and when it is suppose to come in? Oh, and I'm really digging the gray color walls. Do you remember the name of the paint?

I was going to go with the 300 originally, but I'm wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it into the basement. I only have internal access to the basement. I ended up buying the tank from Blue Ribbon Koi. This made the most sense logistically, because I'm only about a 20 minute drive from there. Not sure when it's going to arrive, but I think I'm still about two weeks out. The tank was a special order because of the Starfire glass on the sides.

As for the paint, the tiled area is actually a shade of green. The gray area will go back to being my office/photo studio once I move all the junk out. I messed up and tossed the paint can so I have no idea what color it is, I'll be going to Lowes to do a matchup soon. I'll let you know when I do.

Nice tank size. I bought a shorter version 150g 36x36x27. I wish i had a bigger room!

The 200 first caught my eye. I love how deep these tanks are. I've never actually seen the 250, so I'm really excited about this.

Glen, wanna swap my Reeflo200 for your BK 200.. hehe.. Great build buddy.

I've never looked at those before. I don't think I have any room left under the stand.

3 feet deep would be very nice. I would love that depth. Is it pre-drilled or are you going to drill it yourself?

3 feet deep would be very nice. I would love that depth. Is it pre-drilled or are you going to drill it yourself?

Pre drilled. I'm a coward when it comes to tank drilling.

You should PM Rik (Leishman). He has that exact size tank for sale.

Me? I already bought the tank. I'm just waiting on delivery.

You should stil PM Leishman. He is selling the skimmer (Alpha 250) your gonna need. :)

You guys are funny. I'll see how the 200 works out first.

I can't wait to see this!

Me too.

Update for today:

Taped out the footprint of the stand last night. It looks like everything should be able to fit inside the stand. Hopefully, we'll have time to build it this week.

Sold 280lbs of medium sized rock and Picked up 265lbs of GIANT liverock to go with the 100lbs I already had. Thanks again Hunter Kevin & Tekken.

Oh yeah Hunter, I found your shrimp. Do you want him back? I'm not sure what to feed him :)