Fish stuck in CL intake

Boret

I just found my Copper Band stuck to the intake of the close loop. I have no idea how long he was, but I am guessing about an hour. I removed him from there and he was swimming sideways (completely groggy) so I took him out of the main tank and placed it alone in the frag tank. There is less flow in there, no chance of getting stuck anywhere and I can check on him. The frag tank is on opposite photo period so the darkness might give him a respite.

My question is.... beside sitting back and praying for his recovery... is there anything I can do that might help him out?

The fins seem to be in place and I don't see any apparent damage but I am sure he is very exhausted from trying to free himself up. He is not swimming at all now but he is breathing.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

B.

Give him a few ledges of non sharp rock (clay plant pots, large ceramic containers, large pvc pieces that he can swim into/under then float up against the roof in case it gets too tired to maintain proper buoyancy (similar treatment for swim bladder) also try feeding nice yummy and healthy frozen foods. Now the bad news... unless your intake is SUPER strong or the fish was asleep when it got stuck it's probably sick/dying. Hope that helps

(edited)

Thanks Jason. The CL intake is a 1" feeding the Little Giant 4 I got from you ;)

It is definitely strong enough to hold the fish. I have to manually release hermits from there from time to time but it is the first time in 6 months that I had to remove a fish. He was doing great this morning and eating well last night. Been doing great for the past 2 weeks.

I placed him underneath the eggcrate. It is bare bottom 20L tank. He won't be able to float up. There is about 4-5" of space between the bottom and the eggcrate. I turn off the modded MJ900 that provides flow under the eggcrate, leaving just the top2 3/4" eductors. He is getting a very gentle flow.

Right now it's just laying flat against the bottom, but its still moving the gills.

Being an already picky eater, how should I go about trying to feed him? Attach some food to a plastic rod and put it in front of the fish?

Edited by Boret

I had the same thing happen to a Tasseled File Fish. The way you are explaining the behavior of your fish is the same i experienced. Hope i am wrong but i dont think he will pull through. Mine did not. I was told even if you dont see anything on the outside, internally is where the damage is.

(edited)

Yeah :sad: he's looking pretty bad. Is moving less and less. I don't think it is going to make it.

Edited by Boret

Yeah :sad: he's looking pretty bad. Is moving less and less. I don't think it is going to make it.

If he is suffering maybe you should put him down. Fill a cup with ice and add water, Get it really cold and put him in. It will be over in 2 or 3 seconds. I know it sounds mean but suffering is horrible.

He died! :(

Oh well... it totally sucks that I didn't catch it on time. The CB was doing great, getting along with everyone in the tank and eating quite a bit.

It is really making me think about putting the CL in a timer. I just don't know how bad it would be for the Little Giant to be turn on and off every 1/2 an hour or so.

So sorry to hear that! It always sucks when you lose a healthy fish. I lost my healthy CB Butterfly after I installed my MaxiJet mods and he got stuck to the side. By the time I got home....he was in BAD shape....and a little while after being released....he perished.

Hey bud sorry to hear this. That is a bummer. Strange thing the same thing happend with my copperband 2 weeks ago. He got sucked in m tunze

Is curiosity another trait to add to the tons of causes to Copperband demise?

CB: "Hmmm, I wonder what that plastic grill looking thing is?" , "Oh snap!! I can't move, someone help me!!!"

Oh well. It is one of my favorite fish... don't know exactly why but it has a good color combination, stylish form and will sometimes (if you are lucky) eat aptasia. But then, it is very fragile, prone to ich and has a really bad survival record. This is my second one in almost 3 years. I really thought it was going to make it. It was doing great!!

Is curiosity another trait to add to the tons of causes to Copperband demise?

I dont doubt it. I lost my CBB after I caught him stuck in a large SPS I have. I carefully removed him, but he was done in about an hour. He was pretty well jammed in there, and I have a friendly tank, so I dont know why he would have, apparently, tried to get to the base of the coral.

Recently I read an article on having drain holes like that in a reef tank. I was thinking I could do it when I drill my 65, then saw teh article, now see this post. I would suggest putting something in front of the drain hole, maybe attatch a short piece of pvc with slots in it.

Sorry to hear of the loss. How many and what size drains are you running? You might be able to distribute the suction some by teeing off the drain inside the tank or using an adapter to run a larger strainer on the drain.

I split all of my closed loop feeds into two to reduce the flow enough where fish won't get stuck. I had a yellow tang get stuck to a feed and it had one of its eyes pulled through its head and out the other socket. When I pulled it off I was able to push both eyes back into the right places but needless to say the fish was hemmorhaging and died shortly. I used it to feed an anemone after that. I am a big believer that recycling in the tank is a good idea.

Boret, I would definitely split that feed into two.

Well, it is too late now to do so. It is drilled in the tank.

It is a 1" intake. I am using the tube like screen. Like this one:

1800-07-1.jpg

Maybe I can try to put a T and put 2 screens. It will protrude quite a bit inside of the tank. I don't know... in about 6 months I have not had a problem until now with the CB.

Maybe I have been lucky so far.

I will have to think about this one. A year planning the new tank and there are always things that should/could have been done better/differently.

I have mine T'd on the inside of the tank to reduce the flow. 2 screens versus 1 works wonders for reducing the amount of flow. If your crabs and snails get stuck on it, it's way too much suction, mine would rip snails out of their shells (well, while they were alive they would still be in the shell, only stretched out about 5").

If it were me I would just take everything out of the tank. Give me some of the nice corals for holding. Start over making more and larger holes.