Clove polyp growth pattern questoin

(edited)

I'm wondering about these. I've seen some really pretty clove polyps and am interested in getting some, but are they as invasive as star polyps? Is it best to isolate them from the main rockwork? I read in Borneman's book that star polyps will grow over other corals (yup, 1st hand experience here), but it says nothing about clove polyps doing this, so anyone who has them, can you let me know how your's are, where you keep them...etc.

Thanks!!

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Adrienne,

IME clove polyps aren't as big a problem as star polyps. Star polyps have a solid base that moves forward like the tide as they grow. Clove polyps send out new runners as they expand, which are much easier to peel off with tweezers if you find they are problematic. I don't let my clove polyps get close enough to sensitive corals to find out who would win.

Jon

(edited)

Adrienne,

Following up on Jon. I think the prettiest piece in our aquarium is the rock of clove polyps. Now, there were more corals on the rock, but clove polyps reach for the light....so everything had to be removed as they were smothering the sps. But, I'm happy with it.

Like Jon, I monitor to keep the polyps from growing on other rocks. Peeling it is doeable, but a headache. If you touch clove polyps...USE GLOVES! They really leave a smelly residue on your hands.

Finally, if you want some, let me know. :-)

Edited by www.fishnreef.com

It all depends on how nice the clove polyps are. The plain pink ones spread quite rapidly. The really fancy ones worth $50/polyp don't spread at all!!

bob

Adrienne,

Following up on Jon. I think the prettiest piece in our aquarium is the rock of clove polyps. Now, there were more corals on the rock, but clove polyps reach for the light....so everything had to be removed as they were smothering the sps. But, I'm happy with it.

Like Jon, I monitor to keep the polyps from growing on other rocks. Peeling it is doeable, but a headache. If you touch clove polyps...USE GLOVES! They really leave a smelly residue on your hands.

Finally, if you want some, let me know. :-)

pics?

It all depends on how nice the clove polyps are. The plain pink ones spread quite rapidly. The really fancy ones worth $50/polyp don't spread at all!!

bob

:lol2: Isn't that the truth! Thanks for all the info gang!! I found some really pretty ones while looking around online yesterday. http://www.fragglereef.com/zen/index.php?m...bc17f86bb98a840