WAMAS Chat

Nate

I belong to another Reef club from Vermont that has a chat feature. Its pretty cool cause it tells you who is actually in the chat before you login. Its nice to spend sometime chatting with some people every now and then. Especially when you need some advise right away. It could be setup as one single chat room that members can jump in whenever. Just a thought. Not sure how hard it is to add this feature to the site. Would anyone else utilize a feature like this?

we had one in the past but i think it all changed when we switched boards or something like that. i still think it should be an option for all kinds of discussion.

(edited)

+1, we also have a wamas group on fb, I've friended and been friended by a few people so that hopefully if there's an extreme emergency I can talk to someone on there...

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I am kind of against the chat.

I love the possibility of searching back in the forums to find answers to pretty much anything.

In the chat, unless you are participating at that exact moment, you can loose on a lot of useful info.

I am trying to figure out what is the value added to having a chat....

Also, chats can go awry and it is too much to ask to keep a moderator online. When you post, knowing that the post remains, you tend to be more thoughtful about what you write. In the heat of the moment we might type something in the chat that we could regret.

I am not against sharing skype or any other IM info if you feel incline to do so. That way it is out of the realm of WAMAS and we don't have to put extra burden in the server and the moderators.

Just my $.02!

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?autocom=chat

Thoughts? I figured using a third party would save the headache of reinventing the wheel.

Keep in mind that this is not final until the Board agrees to having a chat room.

i agree with you there. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.

Do you see any downside to using 3rd party chat application or is it fairly straight forward? Will there be any extra work on your end?

No extra work to plug it into the site. I'll probably use ChatRoll if the Board wants chat.

Boret does make very valid points - we lose out on an archived knowledgebase in the forum/topic format and what about moderation.

On the other hand, many forums have a chatroom to add to the community features.