melted center brace

Quantum Aquaria

So, I got this really nice metal halide retro over the weekend... hooked it up... 3x400watt metal halide with 2 60inch vho super actinics... couple of hours... noticed a melted\warped center brace on my tank. Now what? how do you go about repair this?

What kind and what what sized tank? (Is this your 90/120?)

haven't had time to setup the 90 yet... this is the 150 gallon...

Is the tank bowing? Is structural integrity in question? If so, you may want to clamp it to limit bowing. You might call an aquarium manufacturer, such as Glass Cages, to source a replacement frame. They sell them, but I only see frames up to 90 listed on their website. http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

Check with a LFS - they can order a whole new top brace for you.

So that means removing the old brace? whoa... that's risky... isn't it? i removed the braces from my 10 gallon tank and that was a pain... a 150 with water and livestock in it.. it's almost the same as drilling, right? do you think i can just get a think piece of acrylic and glue it in place?

no signs of it bowing... but i'm just being proactive... don't want to come home to a busted tank one day :wacko:

Is the tank bowing? Is structural integrity in question? If so, you may want to clamp it to limit bowing. You might call an aquarium manufacturer, such as Glass Cages, to source a replacement frame. They sell them, but I only see frames up to 90 listed on their website. http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

I would empty the tank down 3/4 - pop the top brace off - throw the new one on and fill it back up.

Guy just did it on CMAS

Ah, if you just want a functional fix, I'd drop the water level and replace it with a glass brace. That way you can keep using the 3-bulb setup without another meltdown.

By the way, this isn't the 3-bulb Hamilton retrofit that deepblue was selling a while back, is it?

i got off someone on craigslist... not deepblue... but it does look very similiar... not sure if its the same fixture or not...

By the way, this isn't the 3-bulb Hamilton retrofit that deepblue was selling a while back, is it?

asumming i get this fixed... another question is how high should i hang these lights above the tank? right now, i've got them about 9 or 10 inches above... but i think that's still way to low... thing is giving off heat like an oven

If it is a 3 bulb fixture then I would do two narrow smaller glass or plexi braces instead of one wide center brace so as not to block the center bulb. You could easily raise it to 12" and be fine with a 400w setup.

You can replace it with a plexiglass strip and nylon screws or silicone in a glass brace.

This is what I would do and have seen this done with success. I would use two clamps on each side then get the plexiglass strip and nylon screws. After it is done you can remove the clamps.

David,

everything about working with a "live" tank just scares the #$@@# out me... guess i'll have to get the nerves somehow... Brian Ward was over here this evening and we both looked more closely at the brace... it's warped... the top piece seems in tact, albiet a little crooked... the bottom portion of the kinda seperated towards the back... i'll take a snapshot of it in the morning and post it to get the expert's opinion... thanks all for the advice(s) thus far.

This is what I would do and have seen this done with success. I would use two clamps on each side then get the plexiglass strip and nylon screws. After it is done you can remove the clamps.

David,

everything about working with a "live" tank just scares the #$@@# out me... guess i'll have to get the nerves somehow... Brian Ward was over here this evening and we both looked more closely at the brace... it's warped... the top piece seems in tact, albiet a little crooked... the bottom portion of the kinda seperated towards the back... i'll take a snapshot of it in the morning and post it to get the expert's opinion... thanks all for the advice(s) thus far.

If its warped, it will crack. Just a matter of time and heat....

All the fix ideas will work, just depends on your type of experience and how you want the finished product to look.