Overgrown softie tank

rdavidw

(edited)

My 150 is starting to get a bit crowded. The three that are going the craziest are the colt coral (Mostly on the right side), the pulsing xenia (Mostly on the left and across the top) and the green star polyps (Middle left and right). I don

Edited by rdavidw

This tank look great. I really like it.

I suggest keeping the plants. They definately add value and character to the setup. Let them grow but....

Trim back to shape them the way you want

or

Trim back to make room for other stuff that you want to add.

Otherwise, let it grow baby, let it grow....

I would leave the halimeda in. Sure, it pulls calcium out of the water, but so what? It adds interesting color and texture to your tank, which appears to be maturing nicely.

You might consider putting some of the GSP on the back wall of the tank. I think it can look great to have all that wavy motion on the back wall of an aquarium.

Jon

Beautiful tank. I say leave it too (unless you need the space). I think its a great addition and gives your a tank a really natural look that is refreshing.

Jon

(edited)

I think your tank looks great. However, from past experience, I also understand your concern about the the three corals taking over your tank at the expense of any other corals.

An option to the existing condition, and one way to keep enjoying these corals is to take and isolate the prettiest rocks with the colt, xenia and GSP. As they grow towards light, if you surround them by sand, they will keep contained. The whole rock will become one solid coral colony and will look spectacular. This will allow you to remove all the overgrowth. You can choose to scrape the corals off the tank walls. You can also remove the rocks and slice off the corals forllowed by a scrubbing/isolation to monitor for return grown. GSP is a bit tricky. I had to bleach mine and then leave it outside.

Good luck.

Edited by www.fishnreef.com

what color are those mushrooms low on the bottom kinda centered

I got those around 1999 from Steve at Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring. They started off a bit more blood red then went a bit more brown. (I got my 1st fish tank from Steve around 1985.) Here are some closer photos.

gallery_2631271_278_152872.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_213072.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_131686.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_87309.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_19367.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_263117.jpg

I am going to pull out about half of the money plant and a bunch of the colt coral if anyone wants some. I also have a bunch of cheato I am about to chuck. Just let me know and you can come by and get it.

A few years back, Steve (from Tropical) gave me 3 or 4 tiny brittle stars about the span of a quarter for my refugium. I now have thousands. They are everywhere. I assume they are beneficial, does anyone else have so many of these?

I had hair algae in my refugium so I got a sm/md sea hair. It took it all out in about 3 days so I moved it up to the main tank. It

Hi rdavidw,

I live in Germantown and I would like to take some Cheato and colt coral. Please let me know when will be the best to stop by.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi rdavidw,

I live in Germantown and I would like to take some Cheato and colt coral. Please let me know when will be the best to stop by.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Another member has already come by and got it. If you can wait a few weeks I will have plenty more.

David

Hi Alex,

Another member has already come by and got it. If you can wait a few weeks I will have plenty more.

David

Thanks David! just let me know or PM when it is ready again.