need to increase flow...have 4 maxi 1200's but want more

epleeds

Like the title says...i plan on upgrading tanks within the year and will go with the vortech mp40's, but those are to much for my 75 gallon at the moment. I am also running a wavemaker power strip with 3 of the maxi-jets.

What would be a good upgrade for the time being...so i can get some better flow thru the tank.

thanks...

And if you do go for the kits, suggestion is to get the magnets as well. I came home one day to sand blown over quite a few corals that had died from being buried for a few days.

think i just found it on marine depot...kits cost $15. says its not compatible with a wavemaker device? i currently am running a wavemaker powerstrip...will this be a problem..

I have been running 2 modded maxi jets on a reefkeeper 2 wavemaker settings for 6 months no problem

they clank a little on startup but work fine.

Maxi jets are pretty reliable on standard wavemakers

David

I currently have 4 powerheads in the tank. what i have been reading is with the new flow, i wont need as many. should i just start off with 2 kits and see how it affects the flow patterns in the tank?

thanks

(edited)
I currently have 4 powerheads in the tank. what i have been reading is with the new flow, i wont need as many. should i just start off with 2 kits and see how it affects the flow patterns in the tank?

thanks

Yes! Or one... :)

I had to very carefully place and point my modded maxi-jet 1200 in my 58-gallon tank, or it blew stuff all over the place! I shaved the propeller a bit, and that helped. Eventually I replaced it with a Koralia-4.

If you want to try out the modded 1200 - I just use it for mixing water now. Little noisy, but will give you the idea.

bob

Edited by lanman

Eric,

I'm a firm believe in the upgrade kits, but they can require some tinkering. I recommend using some epoxy or something else to bolster the impeller seat (especially if you are upgrading the 1200), as these can blow out the back and have done so for some folks (including me).

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...c=26090&hl=

I actually just glued everything back in and used epoxy AFTER the impeller seat was destroyed. I've been running a 900 and 1200 (upgraded) on a wavemaker for close to a year on my 90.

Jon

I had a flow issue when I first started this hobbyand someone told me to mod my Maxijet 1200's. I started with 2 in my 125 and added a third.

As for my 180, I have six of those puppies running in there. I will tell you that the triggers love the added flow.

Don't waste your money. If you are going to get the MP40s anyway, just get them now. Yaou can control the intensity of the flow so they'll be good for your 75g now and ready to tackle your larger tank later. Why waste money on the maxi upgrade kits when you don't have to?

I have an MP20 running on my 40g breeder and wish I had 2 of the MP40s. I think you'll be surprised at how versatile they are.

Just my opinion.........and it's worth exactly what you paid for it!! :clap:

thats true steve....but I would rather spend $50 now instead of $420 for one vortech. I know i am wasting some cash now, but when i sell the maxi jet someone will get the mod with it....just cant justify the vortech when i need to pay for the tank and new skimmer...

thats true steve....but I would rather spend $50 now instead of $420 for one vortech. I know i am wasting some cash now, but when i sell the maxi jet someone will get the mod with it....just cant justify the vortech when i need to pay for the tank and new skimmer...

On my 55 I run 4 mj1200's with a Red Sea Max on the variable setting, along with 2xKoralia 4's. I've been real happy with the 4x MJ+RSM, and only recently added the K4's because I'll be putting it all in a 120 soon.

As for the quality of the 4's, they're OK. I feel like they should be pushing more flow, so perhaps the MJ 1200 mods might have been a better idea.

On my 55 I run 4 mj1200's with a Red Sea Max on the variable setting, along with 2xKoralia 4's. I've been real happy with the 4x MJ+RSM, and only recently added the K4's because I'll be putting it all in a 120 soon.

As for the quality of the 4's, they're OK. I feel like they should be pushing more flow, so perhaps the MJ 1200 mods might have been a better idea.

6 powerheads- I wonder what kind of excess heat transfer you get?