HOLY #$@!!!

Nate

Woke up today and one of my two cleaner shrimp was missing. Looked everywhere and finally found him. Not sue what exactly happened but he was in the mouth of a fairly small anemone. All I could see was his two little black eyes poking out of the anemone's mouth. I was kinda sad because I have had that pair of cleaner shrimp for about 2 years now. Now I am afraid the anemone will die because the shrimp is huge and is probably stuck in its mouth/poo hole. The clarkii's that host the anemone won't let him spit it out and keep trying to shove the shrimp back in. What the H-E-double hockey sticks is going on???

I doubt the anemone will be hurt from the shrimp. What type of anemone was it?

In my experience, the lifespan of most of the shrimp I have kept has only been 2 to 3 years. It might have just died of old age. I have seen a skunk cleaner go in to steal food from a BTA and the anemone ended up grabing it and eating it too so that is a possibility.

its a small pink tip anemone about. the shrimp was at least have the size of the anemone.

my cleaner hangs right beside my borneman anemone, like it thinks it offers some kind of protection. while working at the zoo a few years ago i notice one of the coldwater anemones bent and reached over to grab a piece of food that had fallen right beside it when i was feeding....i only saw it once.

but i think maybe the shrimp had become a little to comfortable with the area around the anemone and being the opportunistic feeder your little guy/gal got nabbed.

(edited)

Throw another shrimp on the Barbi for me too!

I love you guys!

Sorry Nate, I believe that this happens in nature and all do well... except the shrimp.

Edited by Larry Grenier