Top Ten Best Things You Roped Your Non-Reef Friends Into Helping You With Your Reef...

st9z

I read an article on this and wanted to see if anybody else have amusing stories to tell....

I can start...oh there are soo many and it all revolves around my cousin Bo.

1) A little info about Bo...she is 100lbs of "girly girlness" but always up to helping me in all of my adventures. I needed help transfering my solana into my new house in Ashburn, naturally I called her first. Just picture 2 girls carrying in 150lb tank from the car....down the stairs into the basement. We struggled so much that we were so busy laughing we almost dropped the tank down the stairs :blush: You think that was bad you should have seen 4 girls carrying a 90 gallon!

2) Another one for you: I asked her to remove a nail from the canopy so that we can remove the middle bar to retro fit T5 in. Now I am not "handy" at all, so leaving this task to Bo was already a big mistake. But I figure removing one nail how hard can that be. Lets just say the whole canopy fall apart because apparently it was being held up by that one bar. :wacko: "Was it suppose to do that" - quote from Bo

3)My all time fav: Removing water from my 55 gallon into a cooler to do the tank transfer into my 90 gallon. All she had to do was watch the other end of the siphon and tell me when the water was half full. 5mins of water pooring out of my tank I turn around to check the water level in the cooler. I noticed the water level has not moved pass a certain point. I step off the stool only to find 5 gallon of water all over my newly carpet cleaned living rm, because she forgot to plug the end of the cooler first. :eek:

3)My all time fav: Removing water from my 55 gallon into a cooler to do the tank transfer into my 90 gallon. All she had to do was watch the other end of the siphon and tell me when the water was half full. 5mins of water pooring out of my tank I turn around to check the water level in the cooler. I noticed the water level has not moved pass a certain point. I step off the stool only to find 5 gallon of water all over my newly carpet cleaned living rm, because she forgot to plug the end of the cooler first. :eek:

I lol'ed hard at that.

Umm grabbing 3 of my non reef friends at around 10 pm to help me do a 30-60 min tank move of a 75 gal tank, 9 hours later and a lot of alcohol and a lot of pizza/wings they forgave me ... sort of

Ooh you guys had to see me....i didnt know rather I should laugh or kill

Anybody else have funny stories????

Went around the neighborhood, grabbing people to help with a tank move. Found kids playing football. Got a half dozen. Proceeded to move my 600-pound tank through the basement door. 4 adults, and a bunch of kids...

Kids decided it was too much work, and left to play football. With the tank halfway through the door... I guess I should have offered them beer along with the pizza!! We were very lucky to get that tank onto a couple of dollies before we all had muscle failure.

Then... I invited the whole family over to my place for Thanksgiving dinner. And instead of football games... they all helped me move that same tank up onto the stand I built for it! No ulterior motives HERE... nah...

bob

Then... I invited the whole family over to my place for Thanksgiving dinner. And instead of football games... they all helped me move that same tank up onto the stand I built for it! No ulterior motives HERE... nah...

bob

OoO I have to use this tactic one day if I ever need to setup a new tank....brilliant :clap:

The other day I entertained myself by going through Reefkeeping Mag's back issue "10 Things" columns - there were some really funny things under this topic as well as the others - ya all should go read all of them.

The other day I entertained myself by going through Reefkeeping Mag's back issue "10 Things" columns - there were some really funny things under this topic as well as the others - ya all should go read all of them.

Here is the issue if anybody wants to have a quick laugh

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/tt/index.php

#1 was my favorite

I have one more to add to my list...

4) Last year we all experienced some major power outages. I had to run out to buy new batteries for my battery operated pump, so I talked my niece and nephew to use a straw to blown bubbles in the tank. I figured after couple of mintues they would grow bored and play with something else. 15mins later I came home from 7-11 to see both of them red faced and still blowing bubbles, just so to save nemo :lol2:

When I first started out I would always invite my little brother over to my place to hang out. Well hanging out usually meant carrying something heavy up 3 flights of stairs, he even help me setup my first tank. 6 months later he has been my right hand setting up my new tank and he expects the same now that he wants to get into it. I figured it was only fair to donate my 10 gallon to him and help him with everything he needs.

Not only did I sucker him into helping me when he thought the idea was ridiculous, I got him into the addiction as well.

I am kinda new to the area and haven't made any friends yet. So I don't have any stories of roping anyone into helping. The plug on the cooler is a classic story though, very funny. I do have crazy stories though. I had a few fire fish when I was starting out. The first one jumped out behind the tank and dried up. The second jumped out and became a snack for my dog. The third jumped up and stuck to one of the glass shields for my halides and was burnt to a crisp. This all happened within a week of purchasing them. Its like they wanted to die.

Here is the issue if anybody wants to have a quick laugh

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/tt/index.php

#1 was my favorite

I have one more to add to my list...

4) Last year we all experienced some major power outages. I had to run out to buy new batteries for my battery operated pump, so I talked my niece and nephew to use a straw to blown bubbles in the tank. I figured after couple of mintues they would grow bored and play with something else. 15mins later I came home from 7-11 to see both of them red faced and still blowing bubbles, just so to save nemo :lol2:

OMG! LMAO!!! Would have made a great video... kids blowing bubbles by candle-light to try and keep Nemo alive.

bob