PVC gluing and what not

droyal1110

Hello. I plan on finalizing my plumbing tonight but I have a few quick questions.

First off is once I apply the primer, how long should I wait? Some people say they wait 24 hours, others 5 mins, does it really matter? Should it be dry before I apply the glue?

Second is once it is glued, how long does it take to "cure." As in, once I am done gluing everything I would love to do a leak test, am I able to run the system shortly after gluing or should I wait 24+ hours like on the silicone?

Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

after you apply the primer, you can apply the glue right on top. no need to wait for it to dry. i prefer to use the cleaner instead of primer. cleaner is clear so you don't drip and dye everything purple. Once it is glued, wait about 10 or 15 minutes and then you're good to go. You won't be able to pull it apart after about 10 or 15 seconds, but waiting a few minutes to run water through it isn't a bad idea.

Is there a noticeable difference between primer and cleaner? Other than the color of course.

And cool thanks, looks like I will hopefully be filling my system with water tonight (cross your fingers for the test.)

Is there a noticeable difference between primer and cleaner? Other than the color of course.

And cool thanks, looks like I will hopefully be filling my system with water tonight (cross your fingers for the test.)

I don't know what the difference is, but my grandfather (a master plumber) never uses primer - at least I've never seen him use it. He does use cleaner. The only thing I like about the primer (and the cleaner, to a lesser extent) is that it seems to give you a few extra seconds to position the piece you're gluing.

Primer softens the plastic to prep it to receive the glue. It increases the joint integrity - especially in pressure applications. It's probably less critical in our applications because our pipes are generally open ended with less pressure on the joint. Personally, I use cleaner followed by primer on all my glued joints.

DO be careful of drips... that purple primer stains REAL good. :)

I agree with the previous about how to - I usually let the primer dry, but it's not necessary. After you apply glue - TWIST the piece on quickly to where you want it. It will set in seconds, and you can push water through it in minutes.

bob

Also as your mating any two pieces together give them a twist in the process this will ensure the glue moves around the perimeter of the pipe ensuring you have glue in both any seem. I have had pipes leak on me after priming and gluing and just sticking them together. Also if you look inside the pipe like on a 45 or a 90 you can see how the glue melts and forces both pieces to bond and that small twist as you mate them will really keep water from leaking.

I use the blue, rain-r-shine, glue and do not use primer as it says it has in it.

don't skimp when applying the glue but enough on both sides to fill the joint while gently 1/4 twisting into place.

I use the blue, rain-r-shine, glue and do not use primer as it says it has in it.

don't skimp when applying the glue but enough on both sides to fill the joint while gently 1/4 twisting into place.

+1 on the twist. makes the seal much better. it's all in the wrist.

Haha cool thanks. I bought a little kit that comes with primer and glue, I supposed it will suffice.

My new issue is figuring out which pieces to glue first and when to attach them to certain other pieces. Its like doing a jigsaw puzzle... except nothing like it.... bad analogy.

Thanks guys!