bending pvc

treesprite

I found heat guns on sale at Harbor Frieght Tools several days ago (only $10), so I decided to get one and bend some of my PVC isntead of using so many elbows. Due to the way my setup is, there are a lot of turns and the risk for leaks was too high for my comfort.

bendpvc.jpg

The pic is of 1/2" PVC which is the small return from the fuge/dsb.

I didn't do this with the return from the primary pump, basically because I need to be able to bend the 1" pvc without getting really restrictive creases. Does anyone have a technique for preventing severe creases that would seriously restrict flow in 1" pvc?

Edited by treesprite

try packing it with sand, heating and bending.

You sure a couple feet of flexible pvc wouldn't be better?

I already have this pvc here and it only takes a few minutes to put the bends in it.

I've heard of people packing cornstarch into the pipe and bending it, too. I couldn't tell you how it compares with sand. Maybe it doesn't conduct heat as well (which is what you want in this case). Or maybe sand is better. Give it a go and report back!

Try using a curved object to form the pipe around while it is hot. Maybe a mason jar, applesauce jar, or larger, depending on the size of the pipe. Cornstarch/sand is a great idea, I never thought of that!

I tried the sand method in teh 1" pipe for the returns and it worked perfectly!