What in the way of cycling?

treesprite

How much cycling do I really need to do in this situation?

I am re-filling my clownfish 38g tank with about 90% new water, but when I hook back the sump/fuge that will be the water it already has going through it (it's hooked up to the 20 right now where the livestock and rock is temporarily residing). The sump/fuge has a sandbed in it full of yummy bacteria, plus I put the same tank sand back into the 38, plus of course the liverock has its bacteria.

My thought was just to hook back the sump/fuge for a couple days before putting in the livestock, since the sand from teh tank is already in it with new water plus a couple gallons of the old water already in. I still have about 10 gallons of water to fill.

I recommend that you use a bicycle.

You hardly ever sleep, do you?

I saw something on tv the other day about bicycling causing bone problems, and they compared it to other types of exercise... I wasn't listening very carefully as I do not ride one.... riding them causes me too much joint and old bone-breaks pain. Of course that is all off topic and none of it will help my clownfish tank.

I'm getting ready to start posting about the tank project.

How much cycling do I really need to do in this situation?

I am re-filling my clownfish 38g tank with about 90% new water, but when I hook back the sump/fuge that will be the water it already has going through it (it's hooked up to the 20 right now where the livestock and rock is temporarily residing). The sump/fuge has a sandbed in it full of yummy bacteria, plus I put the same tank sand back into the 38, plus of course the liverock has its bacteria.

My thought was just to hook back the sump/fuge for a couple days before putting in the livestock, since the sand from teh tank is already in it with new water plus a couple gallons of the old water already in. I still have about 10 gallons of water to fill.

As long as you've aged or aerated your new water for a day or so (so it's not so caustic), Forrest, I think you'll be fine. See if you can't match your pH, temperature, and salinity between the two before you tie them together so you don't knock the fauna for a loop, triggering a cycle. That's a bit of extra margin that should make this go quickly.

Here's another approach that I used:

When I tied my recently set-up 180 to my sump system which has about another 120 gallons in it, I opened ball valves between the two bodies of water so that i had an acclimation time that lasted several hours.

As long as you've aged or aerated your new water for a day or so (so it's not so caustic), Forrest, I think you'll be fine. See if you can't match your pH, temperature, and salinity between the two before you tie them together so you don't knock the fauna for a loop, triggering a cycle. That's a bit of extra margin that should make this go quickly.

Here's another approach that I used:

When I tied my recently set-up 180 to my sump system which has about another 120 gallons in it, I opened ball valves between the two bodies of water so that i had an acclimation time that lasted several hours.

Do you mean making the flow between them slower? I have a valve on my return so I can go down to a trickle if I need to. That sounds like a pretty good idea.

It's hard to say...really just depends on the amout of die off you have.

I would just watch it for a week, if you dont have any ammonia spike your likely good to go. Just test it.

My guess is that you'll see a very, very small "cycle"

Do you mean making the flow between them slower? I have a valve on my return so I can go down to a trickle if I need to. That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Yes. I physically hooked my two subsystems (the display and the fish room) together but with the valves between them closed. Then, I opened the valves just a little bit to allow the water in the two systems to begin to slowly mix. In essence, it was just a large scale acclimation. It was important for me, however, to get salinity, temperature and pH matched as closely as possible before I began that process.

I hooked the sump/fuge up at very slow rate of flow, valve is practically shut.