Is anyone using a DIY denitrator?

treesprite

I have been thinking about making one and testing it out on a container of old tank water for a couple or few months before attempting to use on my tank, to make sure there are no problems. I'm looking around for plans to follow and advice if anyone has any.

I am thinking along the lines of simple coil denitrator. I have seen contradictions in how much airline to use in the coil and the size of the container. I was thinking about using an old Seaclone skimmer body but that may be too small, so the other option is the body of an old Fluval 304 filter which has a dead motor. I'm wondering if there is a way to build something that would allow some aeration/gas exchange prior to the water leaving the device.

I just need something interesting and potentially useful to do until I find a job. If I made a denitrator I would have to try it out on a livestock-less body of dirty water, first waiting for the device to cycle then going a couple months tracking it's ability to do the job without doing harm. It would end up being a number of months before it would be used on an actual system, if ever.

I made one from a 100 ft 1/8" black tubing. It did not work well since the tube keep getting clogged.

I think this has potential if it works. Cheap to make and useful for a large fish only system since water change just cost too much.

Edited by bcjm

I just need something interesting and potentially useful to do until I find a job. If I made a denitrator I would have to try it out on a livestock-less body of dirty water, first waiting for the device to cycle then going a couple months tracking it's ability to do the job without doing harm. It would end up being a number of months before it would be used on an actual system, if ever.

Why don't you put this time into making a DSB that actually works?

Maybe you could develop a drop-in modular DSB system?

Funny. I bet if someone wanted to, he or she could set up small RDSBs , wait for them to become established, then sell them.

Edited by treesprite

Semi-RDSB. A project was started several days ago for clownfish tank which is currently drained with silicone curing.