how to remove scratches on an acrylic tank?

MBVette

three ways IMO;

1) You get a high speed drill (+2500rpm and + 6amps) with a 8" buffing wheel with some polishing compound. This along with some 400 grit to 1200 grit sand paper and manually knock it out by wet sanding and buff polishing with your drill.

or

2) fill the tank up and have some good lighting on it and use your magnet cleaner with sandpaper on the inside and wet sand underwater so-to-speak. Start off with some 400 grit and work up til you get to 1200 grit and then empty the tank and buff out the fine grit sanding.

3) pay someone to do it

how big is this tank? and also what counts is how big of an opening in the top of the tank you have to work through in accessing the front panel while sanding. It's time consuming for sure but, if you get a good deal on the tank it just might be well worth it.

also, keep in mind that you don't want to sand 1.5" or closer to any of the outside edges as that will not be able to be accessed by your buffing wheel unless you get a real small wheel.

three ways IMO;

1) You get a high speed drill (+2500rpm and + 6amps) with a 8" buffing wheel with some polishing compound. This along with some 400 grit to 1200 grit sand paper and manually knock it out by wet sanding and buff polishing with your drill.

or

2) fill the tank up and have some good lighting on it and use your magnet cleaner with sandpaper on the inside and wet sand underwater so-to-speak. Start off with some 400 grit and work up til you get to 1200 grit and then empty the tank and buff out the fine grit sanding.

3) pay someone to do it

how big is this tank? and also what counts is how big of an opening in the top of the tank you have to work through in accessing the front panel while sanding. It's time consuming for sure but, if you get a good deal on the tank it just might be well worth it.

also, keep in mind that you don't want to sand 1.5" or closer to any of the outside edges as that will not be able to be accessed by your buffing wheel unless you get a real small wheel.

I will probably go the high speed drill route as I have a pretty good drill. What type of polishing compound are we talking about? I have some for my car, but dont know if that is correct.

As for the tank its a 215g tank, with good sized openings at the top. So it wont be an issue getting in there.

Well depending on where you live I'd hit up on a plastic fabrication shop and see if they will sell you some. The shops here in Md. certainly will but, I don't know where in VA.

Now this is a stretch but, I have seen what looks like the right stuff at Home Depot. It's in the hardware tool dept. hanging up with some other compounds. What your looking for is the light blue compound. Any other color is not going to be the right one no matter what they tell you. Just be sure to read it to see that it is for plastic. It's not the best but, for where to go get something the easiest way that is where you want to go.

Now the 215gallon...............is this the tank from lmeyer I made 10 yrs ago?

who is the mfg. and how old is it? Important to know because if you get too carried away with the drill/buffing wheel you can induce stress cracks which you will never get rid of.

Older tanks require a little more care with the buffer.