Water changes

MBVette

Bulk bottled water can be used from the grocery store. If you're going to fill a large tank initially but don't want to incur extra expense, just use tap water. Add some dechlorinator and thoroughly agitate the water with a few powerheads for a few days and you'll be fine. As long as there's no livestock in the tank, you'll be fine. As far as water changes go, you'll need an R/O unit that produces at least 35gpd, preferably with a DI canister.

I've used a Typhoon III (for RO/DI) from Air, Water, Ice since day one. I've been very happy with it.

Edited by Origami2547

I've used a Typhoon III (for RO/DI) from Air, Water, Ice since day one. I've been very happy with it.

How do these things work? Where the tank will be, I will not have the running water; the water will be down the hall a little bit.

How do these things work? Where the tank will be, I will not have the running water; the water will be down the hall a little bit.

They connect to an input water line and require a drain for waste water and a container for product (clean) water. For initial filling, you can run the output tube down the hall and into the tank. After that, you will probably want a Brute trashcan to keep filled with RO water for topoff, water changes, etc. I also keep a 2nd Brute trashcan to mix saltwater for water changes. Buy the wheel kit that snaps into the bottom of the trashcan and you can just wheel it down the hall.

I have mine hooked up to my incoming COLD water line via a splitter designed for RO/DI units. Then I just drain the waste water into the washer bin. I have a large tupperware container that collects the purified water....

Has worked great for me, just a little inconvienent carrying the filtered water up the stairs for water changes.....

Mine is setup similarly to what Brian's describing. I've got a bathroom that's about 20 feet or so from my display. The RO/DI system is hooked up to the wall in a storage area that is adjacent to the bathroom and I tap the cold water line for input and tap into the drain for my waste water. The output then runs across the ceiling in the storage area, using polyethylene ice maker tubing, into a 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trashcan in my fish room. I've installed a float valve in the Brute to stop the production and flow of RO/DI when the container is full. The Brute is right next to another Brute that I use to mix up my change water; and that is right next to a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank that I use as a sump. The arrangement makes water changes reasonably easy.

Has worked great for me, just a little inconvienent carrying the filtered water up the stairs for water changes.....

Mine's the same - set up in the basement using a split on the cold water faucet for the washing machine. I consider carrying the water upstairs to the first and second floors my weight training..... :lol2:

For my initial setup I used gallon jugs of water from Walmart, all the water I could make and RODI water from my local LFS.

Mine's the same - set up in the basement using a split on the cold water faucet for the washing machine. I consider carrying the water upstairs to the first and second floors my weight training..... :lol2:

For my initial setup I used gallon jugs of water from Walmart, all the water I could make and RODI water from my local LFS.

Thanks guys. I will try to work it into my initial setup. But being a 225g tank that will be setup, I think gallon jugs might be out of the question. lol

I might just use tapwater to start off as it will be easy (yes I will lose a little time in the setup of the water) but it will be easy.

I will be setting the tank up in my new building that will not be 100% complete yet, so I think tapwater will be the best option for startup. Then I can get an RODI unit as soon as I can get into the janitors closet down the hall. I will need to see the setup and exactly how much room I will have, to see how I can lay this out in there.