Critter Identification Help, please...

Thejonzer

I just inherited a 20L that I moved into a NC24; all is set up nicely and running very well. All inhabitants are very happy. I've been noticing over the weeks some critters that I was hoping someone could help me ID. I'll be the first to tell you, my photography is poor at best, so here goes:

1. Barnacle/Feather critter - has 10 or so white feather fingers; protrudes and retracts at random and when food is in the tank. Appears to live in a barnacle:

Aquarium%20004.jpg

2. Brown mussle - about 1 inch long, footed in the live rock and opens up during the day, expecially when food is in the tank

Aquarium%20012.jpg

3. Little 'snail without a shell' - looks like a snail without a shell; about 1/4 inch long, maybe bigger; whitish with antennaes and grazes the liverock; it's the whitish guy grazing near the substrate on a snail shell

IMG_4275.jpg

4. Big 'snail without a shell' - looks like a much larger snail without a shell; foot is dark and is about 1x1 inch. It has a tube 'mouth' that pokes out and grazes the liverock - It's the dark guy in the center of the picture

Aquarium%20013.jpg

Any help is MUCH appreciated!!!! Thanks a million in advance

Adjust the white balance on your camera so the images appear to match the look of your tank while lit. Opening or closing the aperature can help too. Try to get the subject in the focal range or the image will come out blurry. Take 3x as many pictures as you think you need. Use your computers' photo editing software to make the pictures just right.

The shell-less nails could be limpets. They actually have a shell, but it is hidden beneath the mantle. If you poke them gently, sometimes the mantle will retract exposing the shell. The mussel could be a turkeyfoot clam- common on live rock. Good filter feeder and excellent barometer for shifting water parameters. The white thing with 10 "fingers" could be a polychaete worm of some sort or one of the many worms that secrete mucus strands for catching particulate matter.

Thanks a bunch to everyone! How nice is it to have a community of knowledge to share? It's nice to have a hobby where you can find something new every day, even nicer to be able to figure out what it is exactly that you're finding!

Stomatella varia actually has a shell - it's just that it only covers part of the body. I call them 'snails on the half-shell'. They are good guys, and eat algae. They will reproduce in your tank. The shells vary in color from white through green, with and without stripes, to black. I have a ton of them in my frag system.

Unfortunately - I can't really tell from your pictures if that's what they are. :)

bob