where to buy instant ocean salt?

luan67

From the LFS! Most of our WAMAS sponsors price their salt competitively with the online dealers, especially when you factor in shipping costs of online purchases, and they often offer special deals that really bring the prices down. That's when many of us stock up!

I've bought IO (in 200 gallon boxes) from several of our local vendors including Blue Ribbon Koi (Manassas), Aquarium One (Rockville), and Fins and Feathers (Ashburn). Each time it was at a very, very reasonable price. I'm sure that our other LFS' have great prices, too, on IO but I just haven't gotten by their place yet.

That said, not all of our LFS vendors carry IO. And, of course, IO is not your only option. For example, Aquaco (Reston) carries Bio-Assay (at a very good price, I might add) which you might find meets your needs just as well.

As Bob said (above), I encourage you to support your Local INDEPENDENT Fish Store (I make the distinction here to separate our independents from the big chains) in any and every way that you can. If they're a WAMAS sponsor, all the better. Times are tough and we need to stick together if we're to come out of this economic muddle with options that care about this hobby and about us. Saving a few pennies or even a few dollars on a box of salt isn't worth losing these much more valuable supporters to the hobby.

IO is the only thing I buy at Congressional Aquarium. They have a permanent sale on salt. Actually, I buy Reef Crystals now. My new water with Reef Crystals tests higher in Mg than my old IO did, so I'm sticking with the good stuff. Brian brought me back a bucket from That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA.

Thanks for the replies. I am a fan of LFS, especially Aquaco but they dont carry IO. BRK and Fins and Feather are too far for me. My only options in the past were SuperPetz (which will not get my business) and Marine Scene (dont want to go there).

I have always use IO but then heard that I shouldn't switch brand because of some bad side effects. True or urban legend? I dont mind buying another brand and support Aquaco.

Actually I have first hand knowledge of switching can be a problem if you don't do it slowly. a reefer went from IO to Bio-Assay and it destroyed the reef. It was not done properly nor does it say anywhere to do it slowly.

That being said, you can switch but just do it over time. Don't do a 50% water change. more like a bunch of 10% water changes.

Petsmart=good price! Also Todays pet store in frederick=maybe better price.

We have a little known but very active supply shuttle service within WAMAS. You contact one or more members living close to your supplier of choice and ask if they would mind picking up some supplies and delivering them to you at the next meeting, when they drop buy to sell you a coral or to pick up a complimentary frag of one of your prized corals, etc. Next, contact the store of your choice and arrange for the items to be charged to your credit card for later pick up by another member. Everyone wins! I've played pack mule far more times than I can count and I often use it as an excuse to drop by the LFS "while I'm in the area". ;)