Euroreef RS 80 skimmer

jnguyen4007

I did my water change, took out the tunze nano skimmer to be thoroughly cleaned. I put in the Euroreef RS 80 skimmer and have the riser pipe as low as I can according to the direction. It sticks out of the water by about 1/2". Plugged it in and turned it on. The skimmer went crazy and spewing out wet bubble. In a course of half hour or so, I had to turn it off and emptied the collecting cup. It looks like it's slowing down a bit right now. Is it normal for the skimmer to go crazy like that initially?

The skimmer finally settled down after the second time. It's still running fairly wet and I don't know if I can get it to run any drier. I lowered the riser neck as low as I could, so I'm not sure if there is anything else that I can do. My guess is that the RS80 might be a bit of an over kill for my 30 gal. If anyone can think of anything else that I can do, please let me know. Thanks.

Hey James,

It's rated for an average load of 80 gallons so you should be OK. If/When you're going to get back on Prodibio or VSV you'll start to see increased skimmage.

I would look on the equipment forums on RC about getting it to run dry. With your tanks currently situation you want to be careful running wet as to prevent any rapid decrease in salinity which will have a big impact on coral health. There are a couple of threads about guys running wet on SPS tanks to drop nutrients only to have sudden drops in salinity and lose a number of SPS.

If you're really concerned about it maybe another member has an extra skimmer rated for a smaller tank that you could borrow!

Edited by SeanCallan

James,

Hey. You need to plug the air intake. What I used to do with it was stuff a ripped off piece of a napkin or something right into the air intake at the top. Once it settles down you can take it out.

I think they make them new with a valve that handles this, but absent that you need to plug the air intake tube with something.

James,

Hey. You need to plug the air intake. What I used to do with it was stuff a ripped off piece of a napkin or something right into the air intake at the top. Once it settles down you can take it out.

I think they make them new with a valve that handles this, but absent that you need to plug the air intake tube with something.

Daniel,

That did the trick! It is running much, much, much drier now. Thanks so much for your help. I looked through the manual and no where did it mention anything about plugging up the air intake to make it run drier.

Sean,

I just check the salinity in the tank, it's still at 1.025.

at first it did run wet for a couple of hours. I love my RS 80 I won at Macna in Pittsburgh. but it is in my sump and I do not have a auto top off so my water level fluctuations. this happened with my 240 and my" in sump" bubble king and after i got a new sump and a constant water level it now runs very,very well. so I cant wait to get this done on my 75 gallon.

Curtis

Sean,

I just check the salinity in the tank, it's still at 1.025.

Good deal. I was just reading a thread on the zeovit forums about the guys running wet and most of them check salinity twice weekly now. Just an idea if you want to continue to run wet :D

James, glad to hear it!

Daniel,

Was it you that I bought the skimmer from? I think it was, and now I remembered you also mentioned something about plugging up the air intake hose when I was at your place to pick up the skimmer. Sheesh, my old age is catching up to me.

Hey James, yes it was me. No worries. I remember when I first got the skimmer and trying in vain for days on end to get it to skim dry. Odd that the manual does not speak to it at all.