Sand is too coarse for a goby?

Linguisa

I've had two gobies pass away recently and I'm wondering its because they couldn't get enough to eat because the sand in my tank is too coarse. Is this possible? I have argonite sand (not live).

My tank has been up and running about three months and I need a fish (or something) to filter the sand. I've got a small army of hermit crabs, snails, a couple emerald crabs, and a conch. I was hoping the Goby could also help clean up the sand also but I can't keep one for more than a few days. Any suggestions?

maybe your fish are succumbing from new tank syndrome. add a goby after 6 months or so to let the sand bed get established with microfauna enough to support the goby.

I have a tank that is about 3 months old also. I too used argonite that is course. Bought a couple of Yellow Head Gobies 2.5 weeks ago and they are doing great. They sift the argonite, they are also eating flake, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. For comparison, mine are about 3".

I have a tank that is about 3 months old also. I too used argonite that is course. Bought a couple of Yellow Head Gobies 2.5 weeks ago and they are doing great. They sift the argonite, they are also eating flake, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. For comparison, mine are about 3".

Oh... you didn't. How big is the tank? How big are the gobies??

I have ONE yellow-headed sleeper goby - and that is PLENTY for my 240. Every night I have to blow sand off the corals. He is about 5-6" long, now... He grew FAST!!

Oh - and he eats PE mysis with gusto!

bob

Edited by lanman

Oh... you didn't. How big is the tank? How big are the gobies??

I have ONE yellow-headed sleeper goby - and that is PLENTY for my 240. Every night I have to blow sand off the corals. He is about 5-6" long, now... He grew FAST!!

Oh - and he eats PE mysis with gusto!

bob

From what you have said, looks like I will have one for sale in a few months.....Mine are in a 180 and about 3".

Edited by DonP

Let your tank get established for a couple more months. You should'nt have a problem. What kind of Gobies did you have? Some are harder than others, like the Twin Spot Gobie can be a little tricky.

I've had two gobies pass away recently and I'm wondering its because they couldn't get enough to eat because the sand in my tank is too coarse. Is this possible? I have argonite sand (not live).

My tank has been up and running about three months and I need a fish (or something) to filter the sand. I've got a small army of hermit crabs, snails, a couple emerald crabs, and a conch. I was hoping the Goby could also help clean up the sand also but I can't keep one for more than a few days. Any suggestions?

Whatever sand you have is "live" by now although probably not very well populated with critters yet. If your fish are dying in just a few days I would not suspect starvation as the cause. If you have other fish that are doing well, nothing is seriously wrong with your water parameters, and you don't see any obvious signs of aggression when you add them, the most likely explanation for such a quick demise is that they weren't too healthy to begin with, IMO. For an already weakened and stressed out fish, the stress of the transition to yet another new environment can be too much.

Also, you don't really "need" a fish to sift or filter the sand. In fact, if the health of your sandbed is your only concern, a sand sifting goby is more of a detriment than a help, because the reason they sift the sand is in search of the microfauna (microscopic-or-nearly-so worms, pods, etc. . . ) that really keep a sandbed healthy. That's not to say I wouldn't recommend keeping a goby with a sandbed, just don't think you need to. The sand will do quite well on its own as long as you don't put too many sandbed fauna predators in your tank, have good flow w/o deadspots, . . . . the usual stuff. If the aesthetics of the sandbed is your concern, the best thing I've ever had for keeping it looking clean is a tiger tail cucumber.

Bottom-hugging gobies and emerald crabs are not always a good mix.

Not to hi jack the thread, but a sand sifting star is another option which are quite hardy, and make a heck of a lot less mess of your tank.

Not to hi jack the thread, but a sand sifting star is another option which are quite hardy, and make a heck of a lot less mess of your tank.

Not to further hijack but do Harlequins prey on sand sifters too?