help with fish recommendations?

Sharkey18

Hi all, after 6 weeks of no fish following ick, I am ready to add fish back. During this time I have gotten rid of all my nasty hair algae and everything is looking great. Question is what fish to add back. I want to be more careful this time in planning the additions. My tank is 54 gallon with softies and LPS. Live rock and a 5 inch sand bed. I am thinking about a single "main" fish at least one sand sifting goby. Suggestions on what might work in this system would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

If you can narrow down to your favorite type of fishes/species such as: Tangs, Butterflies, angels (dwarf since this is a 54 gallon tank size), gobies, dottybacks, etc... and rank the orders of your favorite species, most of us can help you much better to your preferrence.

Say as an example:

Favorite:

1 - Butterflies (copperband, long nose, pyramid) (favorite first, then next to favorite)

2 - Tangs (yellow, blue hippo)

3 - Gobies (orange red spotted, orange/purple firefish, high fin red goby, yashia)

4 - Angels (flame, bicolor)

You can find out a lot on www.marinecenter.com . Just give us a rough list of what you like in first impression. And we'll chime in whether those would work for your tank and the order they should be going in. Don't worry so much about making mistake. The best thing is you had posted here for everyone to help you.

Cheers,

KLee

Thanks for the link and the suggestions of ranking. It has helped me plan what I would like to see. I am happy to limit my fish stock to 4.

I plan on adding slowly because I've already made the mistake of overstocking, creating a nasty algae problem and crashing the system. Finally running well and NOT going to do that again.

My List

Tang (Powder blue, Yellow, powder brown, hippo,)

Angel (Coral beauty, other pygmy)

Goby (any ACTIVE sand sifter)

Clownfish (only if I can get an anenome to survive that can host it. Already killed one BTA.)

I really want a tang but my luck with hippo tangs has been bad (3 dead) and I don't want to be responsible for any more unnecessary blue tang death. I considered a yellow but it would outgrow the tank so that's out. I would love a coral beauty but I've read they are not really reef safe.

I really like watching fish behavior so i am drawn to fish that "do things" like pick at rock, sand sift, clown with anenome etc.

Thanks for the help!

Laura

Powder Blue and Powder Brown Tangs are very hard to keep in a small 54G tank. I would not recommend them. Not sure why the 3 blue hippo tangs didn't make it.

Can you provide us list of your equipments: brand and model of skimmer, # powerheads (brand and model), type of lightings using on this tank?

Thanks.

Sure.

4 to 5 inch sand bed.

About 50 lbs live rock (some in the sump)

10 gallon sump with built in skimmer (came with sump)

100 micron filter pad in sump

Remote algae scrubber

T-5 Fluorescent, 460 / 420 dual blue actinics, 65 Watt dual daylight

2 Koralia 1 (400 gph) pumps

1 Maxijet 400 powerhead

All three on wavemaker power source, rapid cycling

1 Aqua clear 50 powerhead (270 gph) running an in tank particulate filter

100 micron particulate

I think that's it.....

Here's a pic of the tank:

http://gallery.me.com/sharkey18#100142/IMG...p;bgcolor=black

Sorry i can't figure out how to upload a picture on a mac!

Laura

If its a 54 corner i would stay away from the tangs period unless you are a. going to get a really small one that you're willing to give up when it gets bigger, or b have plans to up grade to a bigger longer tank soon

"10 gallon sump with built in skimmer (came with sump)"

Looking at the lps in your tanks, they are very happy, I suspect the skimmer is not able to keep up with the bioload once a the hippo tang(s) was/were introduced. Like Jason said, for the tank this size, to keep a hippo Tang, it must be tiny, really small juvenile, and after about 6 months, it's time to setup a much large tank size for it (financial planning) because you probably would be emotionally attached to the fish by then.

If you can post up a pix of your skimmer, that would help a lot. You might want to take the whole skimmer out of the sump and let us view a complete pix of it. Some of the inexpensive skimmers that come with a sump are just for show, not well function/performance.

With 10% water changes weekly, this also helps a great deal for corals and fishes survival.

I think you'll be fine if you go with one of the dwarf angels- coral beauty, flame, or potters. They are reef safe contrary to local opinion. As far as a sand sifter goes, why not get a fighting conch? Maybe an engineer goby- as long as your rock is deep enough in the sand because they love to build tunnels.

The skimmer in pix probably won't be able to keep up with heavy bioload. I think it's best that you invest in a nice skimmer before trying to populate new fishes.

Introducing a few small fishes such as clownfish, gobies should be good until a better skimmer put in and species such as Tang or dwarf angels can be introduced.

Another small detail when you're ready to introduce these new fishes in, try to feed them as little as you can and watch them consume all the food within 5 minutes. If they are unable to finish all, lessen the amount of feeding a bit next day.

Looking at your signature, looks like a 90G tank is in the planning. Are you planning to keep the 54g along with the new 90G or just one tank when done? If only one, it is probably wise to get a skimmer that can also support the 90G tank and save money in the future for more fishes + corals.

HTH,

KLee

Edited by vaironman

Thanks so much for the help. I will definitely invest in a new skimmer. I thought it was inadequate but a lot of my reading indicates that it's very simple mechanically and chemically so i wasn't exactly sure what a bigger and more expensive skimmer would add to the equation.

My plan has always been to add one or two fish to start, wait a few weeks/months, watch the tank and levels and then add more if possible. At about the same time all the fish died I was also dealing with a horrible cyano outbreak followed by an even worse hair algae problem. Tank was a mess from too much bioload. Losing all the fish was a blow but it also helped me get the tank in better condition seeing as it was a lot easier to eradicate the hair algae without having to feed fish.

Like zygote suggested, I'll probably stay away from Tang's until the 90 is up and running and go with a goby, and a clown to start.

(I'm actually planning on keeping the 55 and adding the 90... :lol2: )

Thanks so much for everyone's help. This group has been great!

Laura

You may also want to consider a blenny. A lot of people like the lawnmower blenny but my preference is for the bicolor blenny. They have a ton of personally - moving from perch to perch and looking at you all the time. Just a consideration.

I thought it was inadequate but a lot of my reading indicates that it's very simple mechanically and chemically so i wasn't exactly sure what a bigger and more expensive skimmer would add to the equation.

You're right that bigger skimmers operate mechanically the same way that little ones do - however, the benefit is that they can extract more. Greater volume & bigger pump = more fish poop processed.

Thanks, I'm upgrading this weekend!

Your signature is SO spot on.... in my case it was a $20 chromis...I now have a QT

(and a new sump to fit my new skimmer....etc.etc.etc.)

Laura

Thanks so much to everybody for their help!

I have decided to add the following in this order:

A new Sump (to fit my new skimmer)

A new Skimmer (ok, technically not fish but you've convinced me I need these first. )

THEN

A goby

wait 4 weeks

A pair of clowns

wait 6 weeks

A pygmy angel

if the tank allows.

Let the patience begin!

Laura