IceCap/Calfl 250w 14K HQI Bulb

steveoutlaw

I just got the 14k IC/Calfo bulb. I put it in my Current Outer Orbit fixture tonight.

Here's pics from tonight with the current 10K:

IceCapMHbulbcomparison002.jpg

IceCapMHbulbcomparison001.jpg

I'll post pics of the 14k bulb when I get home tomorrow (that will give it a full day of burn in.

Not impressed. I put the bulb in last night and turned it on and it worked just fine. I let it run for about and hour and then shut it down. I just came home to find that the bulb had shattered. Certainly not a quality I'm looking for in a bulb. Both of the ends are still in place, but the center of the bulb is shattered.

Not a happy camper right now.......and of course their offices are closed for the weekend.

Not impressed. I put the bulb in last night and turned it on and it worked just fine. I let it run for about and hour and then shut it down. I just came home to find that the bulb had shattered. Certainly not a quality I'm looking for in a bulb. Both of the ends are still in place, but the center of the bulb is shattered.

Not a happy camper right now.......and of course their offices are closed for the weekend.

Wow do thats no good! Your nano looks great though. I still have that XM 15k if you're interested though.

Ok, now I'm downright PISSED. Not only did the bulb explode, but it shot broken glass pieces all over the inside of my fixture......when I turned it over to put the original bulb back in, it sounded like a moracca. Here is what I came home to find:

Broken bulb:

CrappyHQIBulb002.jpg

CrappyHQIBulb001.jpg

Scorched reflector:

CrappyHQIBulb003.jpg

Edited by steveoutlaw

And now we know - those UV filters are good for more than filtering UV... I wonder if it had some oil on it from the factory? Not good, either way.

bob

Ok, even if it had some oil on it from the factory........this thing didn't just break......it exploded. I had to snap part of the bulb of the UV shield glass because it was stuck to it. I've had single ended metal halides before and gotten oil from my hands all over the bulbs, had tank water splash on them......H-E-double hockey sticks I even had a frogspawn head touch the bulb accidentally and burn to the bulb (not a great smell). But I never had one explode on me. This thing exploded.......seems to be a bit of a safety hazard.

anyway, I just hope they give me my money back. I'll go with a name brand like phoenix.

Edited by steveoutlaw

The bulb in my Current (sunpod) fixture I had finger prints all over it and never had explosion issues. My new bulb I handled with gloves, as well as my other 20k bulb. Good luck with Ice Cap other than this issue how do you like the fixture?

Good luck with Ice Cap other than this issue how do you like the fixture?

Hopefully they are going to step up and refund my money. If not, I'll just post this same thread on reef central in the IceCap forum. ;)

I just got two SE 10k 250 watt bulbs from them... I will let you guys know what happens... I am a risk taker... although I am concerned about the bulbs exploding into my tank now...

I contacted IceCap and am still waiting to hear back from them. The customer service guy made it sound like they were just going to send me another bulb, not refund me my money. We'll see.......and I'll just have to hope that I got a bad one the first time. However, I do think that they should refund me the money and shipping for the bulb.

Do you have a tang in a solana?... bad boy!

Tang, what tang? That's a Yellow Pacific nano-fish.

Steve, why didn't you just go with a 14k Phoenix? The color's great.

Is that a Vortech MP20 you have on that nano? Dialed back some, I guess?

Well, IceCap came through and are giving me a full refund for the bulb. I reported it to them on Monday and they got me an answer on thursday.....not bad at all.

Steve, why didn't you just go with a 14k Phoenix? The color's great.

Is that a Vortech MP20 you have on that nano? Dialed back some, I guess?

I'm going to order a Phoenix 14K now that I've gotten a refund. Yes, that is an MP 20 and it's dialed back to about 3/4 power.

Edited by steveoutlaw

By the way, was there any lasting damage to the light?

Not sure. The moonlights on one side of the light don't work, but I don't know if the light came that way or if it was caused by the bulb exploding.