My third mantis shrimp video

extreme_tooth_decay

Very similar to Crustacean Wars II. I had one more small fiddler crab, so I gave it to him.

This time I made sure the crab landed and was walking around (and eventually he walked right into the path of the mantis).

Next time, a bigger crab! I was at Pristine the other day looking for a big emerald, but alas, they had none. Also Eric had a big gorilla crab for me, but alas, it died before I could take possession.

Crustacean Wars III

(recommend clicking the "watch in high quality" near the bottom right of the video pane)

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

At some point or another I'm guessing you'll get blasted for these... but that was funny. :clap: Just don't become the Micheal Vick of the invert world.

Heh, I've been blasted several times already. That's part of the reason I'm still makin' em. No one is required to watch them. It's just his natural behavior.

May sound weird, but it's the same thing (to me) as feeding live brine...which is close to the same thing as feeding fish which which have been killed to make flake, pellets, formula one, etc.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

agreed.

It's because of you , TIM, that i am a confused reefer.......now i want another 20 gallon tank just for my own mantis shrimp......the videos and your shrimp are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too bad the crab i was going to give you didnt make it. I think he would have put up a pretty good fight... He was huge compared to what you put in there...

nice video...i liked the music....

eric

We've got to get a bigger contender :laugh:

Agreed, next one will be bigger. Trying to work my way up. I bought these small fiddlers in response to how long it took him to smash that red-eye crab. Fiddlers obviously have a much thinner shell.

I'm going to head to Roozen's this weekend and see if I can find a big emerald or some other contender (already tried Wally's, Pristine, SuperPetz since they are all close to me). If not, I'll get a big fiddler. I've seen them 5-10x the size of the one in this last video for $1.99, but I'd rather mix it up with different kinds of crabs. I also prefer to use pure marine crabs (fiddlers are brackish, but seem to live when I acclimate them to pure SW. At least long enough!). I might work my up to a medium then large fiddler also.

Eric: I've already got the music picked out for the next 2, heh.

Bryan: The mantis shrimps are really cool. When I have folks come over, they're always a lot more interested in my fuge than my display! I've actually been thinking of de-reefing altogether and just setting up a multi-mantis tank. So easy to care for. So much fun.

tim

I have to admit that I also really enjoy the videos. I am picking up a used 12g Eclipse today so I can get Smithii for my desk. Stomatapods are so cool. If you have time (16 minutes) watch http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/sheila_...st_animals.html Sheila Patek on Mantis strikes - it has amazing footage.

Jackie

I have to admit that I also really enjoy the videos. I am picking up a used 12g Eclipse today so I can get Smithii for my desk. Stomatapods are so cool. If you have time (16 minutes) watch http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/sheila_...st_animals.html Sheila Patek on Mantis strikes - it has amazing footage.

Jackie

wow thank you for such an awesome video!

Jackie

Great stuff. I love that high speed footage capturing the light produced from the cavitation.

tim

There are a couple of videos on the net with mantis shrimp. One I remember seeing was a large mantis shrimp against a blue crab was awesome. In the end the mantis shrimp won so I have no doubt that if it can take out a blue crab it shouldn't hae an issue with most other crabs.

Is it true you shouldn't try and keep one of these in a glass tank?

Edited by Brian

There are a couple of videos on the net with mantis shrimp. One I remember seeing was a large mantis shrimp against a blue crab was awesome. In the end the mantis shrimp won so I have no doubt that if it can take out a blue crab it shouldn't hae an issue with most other crabs.

Is it true you shouldn't try and keep one of these in a glass tank?

I've seen that video, too.

Only a very large smasher can break glass, and only if greatly provoked.

I have (intentionally) gotten mine to hit the glass many, many times. He can't break it. Yet!

tim