Lighting Question for 220 Gallon

reefhunter

I really like the base white color of my tank but I am missing out on alot of colors because I am only running 10k XM bulbs with no supplements. I could of course switch to 14k bulbs but they are too blue for me. I was thinking about installing T5 or VHO supplements. My tank is 72" long and 24" deep. What would you guys do? Supplement or change to 14k? What would you use to supplement? (T5 or VHO) and what bulb/ballast combo would you get? (all of my reef lighting knowledge is for metal halides)

Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 10k + VHO actinic, I like the look. I'd supplement if I were you :)

When I need new bulbs, I will likely switch my 6 VHOs to 6 T5s with reflectors. I think I'll get a little better punch with the aluminum reflectors.

You have a link to the bulbs and ballasts I should get... is this stuff I can get from ICE CAP's WAMAS deal? I think those bulbs that are up for free are going to kevin but thanks for the heads up....

I just added 2 x 4' vho florescents (220w) to my frag tank, replacing 2 smaller 3' T5s (80w) and now the colors just pop. Wow! You might consider 2 6' vho (280w). That should look really nice with the 10Ks.

I use icecap 660 to drive (3) 5' bulbs. They are the best ballasts IMO. I think they have everything except the bulbs. I don't know which T5s to buy, but use the URI VHO actinics if you go that route.

XM 10k spike at 420 nm (not a huge spike, but the biggest spike it offers), therefore if you are going to supplement with just one lamp I would use T5 blue+ lamps which spike at 460nm. This make for a nice complement.

A few years ago I use XM10k with VHO superactinics. I couldn't barely tell when the VHOs were turned on, even though the 24" supplements that I was using were pushing 150w total. I then switched out to 24" T5 blue+ (2x24w= 1/3 the wattage of the VHOs) and the color difference was phenomenal.

If you've got the space, I would do both. Of course I'd probably just use T5 instead of T5 and VHO as IMO T5 are significantly brighter (perhaps as a result of using individual reflectors) and consume significantly less power. I'd say go with 4x5' T5, 2 blue+ and 2 actinic 03 driven using an IC ballast and some high quality reflectors.

That's just me though.

Garrett.

Nice to know Garrett. I will plan on trying the blue+ T5s on my next set of bulbs. Do you know if they still have the same spectral output when overdriven with icecap ballasts?

On the 150 which is 72l x 30t, I use a 400 14k on the right and a 150 20k on the left. It doesn't seem to bleach everything out with blue, but gives it a nice even color.

gallery_2631654_455_508544.jpg

XM 10k spike at 420 nm (not a huge spike, but the biggest spike it offers), therefore if you are going to supplement with just one lamp I would use T5 blue+ lamps which spike at 460nm. This make for a nice complement.

A few years ago I use XM10k with VHO superactinics. I couldn't barely tell when the VHOs were turned on, even though the 24" supplements that I was using were pushing 150w total. I then switched out to 24" T5 blue+ (2x24w= 1/3 the wattage of the VHOs) and the color difference was phenomenal.

If you've got the space, I would do both. Of course I'd probably just use T5 instead of T5 and VHO as IMO T5 are significantly brighter (perhaps as a result of using individual reflectors) and consume significantly less power. I'd say go with 4x5' T5, 2 blue+ and 2 actinic 03 driven using an IC ballast and some high quality reflectors.

That's just me though.

Garrett.

+1

I agree with Garrett here. On my 220 which is 30" deep I have 3 - 250w 10,000k MH with 4 - 39w T5 420nm and 4 - 39w T5 460nm and the color spectrum is nice.

Chuck

I think I would like to get 2 x 5' or 6' T5 lamps. How many IceCap 660s will I need? Can someone post a link to the bulbs I should use. Thank you.

You can run up to 16' of lamps on a 660, max 4 bulbs. I am running 3x5' VHOs on a 660, I have two of those sets above my tank.

I don't think they make 6' T5 lamps. You could use (4) 3' T5 lamps (39*4=156w) on a single ballast and end up using less electricity than 2x6' VHO. (160*2=320w)

(edited)

I only have room for one bulb on either side of the halides... so I am limited to one bulb thicknes... I think 4 36" like Justin said will be my best bet... what reflectors should I get.

Ice Cap 35" SLR singles?

Edited by reefhunter

I would run RADIUM Bulbs with VHO atinics... best way to go if you like a nice blue color to your tank... and No it is not too blue...

In my 210 I have 2x250 watt xm 10k and I just recently changed my middle MH to a 4oo watt radium. I had an extra ballast and it is the deepest area of my tank. I supplement with 2 x 48" VHO 110watts each I think. I am happy with the look. I just bought new bulbs and will be putting them in as soon as I re-setup my tank. i think my radium is 20k and the outside MH lights are 10K

I am actually trying to avoid a blue colored tank. Instead I am trying to supplement the white look to get more color out of my coral and fish.

I like the white of the XM's and when I tried 14k bulbs they were way too blue.

I would try Radiums if they weren't $85+. XMs are $60 or less all the time.

I only have room for one bulb on either side of the halides... so I am limited to one bulb thicknes... I think 4 36" like Justin said will be my best bet... what reflectors should I get.

Ice Cap 35" SLR singles?

The icecap reflectors are good. Grim did some studies (of course I don't have access as I'm not a premium member on RC and I can't search ~ maybe we can get Justin to run a search for us ;) ) about which reflectors are the best. The icecap were not at the top of the list, but are still good reflectors to use.

For bulbs you could go with 2x http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore..._by_UV_Lighting

and 2x http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore...orescent_by_ATI

I can't remember what the difference is between the various actinics from different manufacturers. I use the UVL, but I'm sure the Giesemann and ATI are suitable as well.

G.

I'd go with Aquactinics reflectors over the icecaps. Saves a little more on the space since they should be 2" wide instead of the 2.5" of the Ice Caps.

I am actually trying to avoid a blue colored tank. Instead I am trying to supplement the white look to get more color out of my coral and fish.

I like the white of the XM's and when I tried 14k bulbs they were way too blue.

I would try Radiums if they weren't $85+. XMs are $60 or less all the time.

I thoguht the exact same for years... but now I know its the best bulb I have used for BOTH coloration and growth.... man o man the colors you can get out of your corals by running these bulbs are unreal... just my .00002

what about just running 14k radiums with no supplements?

they don't make 14K radiums, only 20K... even still I love the POP you get with VHO's so the combo of both is what I'm running...