fish suggestions

tonkadawg

My 16gal (20 gal total volume) nano currently has a flame hawkfish, but I'm beginning to want some other fish in there. Problem is, I'm not sure what I should get (the flame hawkfish will be removed).

I was really wanting a few (3 maybe) anthias, but the more I read about them, I realize that I don't have the right set up for them. There's always chromis, but they're just chormis. I'm not a big clown fish fan and gobies are cool, but I was hoping for something that would swim out in the open - not just hide in the rocks.

So I guess to sum it all up, I'd like 2-3 schooling fish that won't nip at sps. Suggestions?

Please don't compare reefer madness' and their photochopped corals to chris' honest colors ;) the yellows are insane This tank is amazing, simple, modern, clean, and elegant.

Definetly worthy of the WAMAS TOTM IMO :).

I have no idea what they're called but they're like saltwater tetras. GSM has some in his tank thread here : http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26512

Anthias will definitely be too big and there are certain restrictions on the numbers. I was thinking about them for my 80, but everywhere I looked told me 1 or 5.

Edited by SeanCallan

This is going to be an interesting thread. Very tough challenge for a small 20 gallon volume of water and small space. WAMASers can come through. Following along.

A canary blenny would be one suggestion.

I have no idea what they're called but they're like saltwater tetras. GSM has some in his tank thread here : http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26512

Anthias will definitely be too big and there are certain restrictions on the numbers. I was thinking about them for my 80, but everywhere I looked told me 1 or 5.

Blue eyes cardinal. Great suggestion. Cool school of fishes.

Blue eyes cardinal. Great suggestion. Cool school of fishes.

THANK YOU! I was following a thread of RC and the guy put in 10 of these but even his distributor didn't have a name and no one on RC knew what they were.

(edited)

saw the [edit]blue eye cardinal[/edit] you were talking about - was hoping for a little more eye candy. My son really loves watching the seahorses, so was hoping to get something that would catch his interest in this tank too.

what are everyone's thoughts about pipe fish? Too much flow in an SPS tank for them too feed?

Edited by tonkadawg

saw the tetra types you were talking about - was hoping for a little more eye candy. My son really loves watching the seahorses, so was hoping to get something that would catch his interest in this tank too.

what are everyone's thoughts about pipe fish? Too much flow in an SPS tank for them too feed?

Pipefish will probably stay closer to the rocks in a higher flow system. It's going to be hard to find schooling eye candy for a 16, it's a pretty small body of water. You're also going to need a sizable pod source for the pipefish unless you're lucky enough to find some that eat frozen.

Any of the cardinal fish would probably be ok for awhile, though some species can get grow to 3''

Yellow Striped Cardinal ( http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/presentation/239586.jpg )

239586.jpg

Not much eye candy either.

Court Jester Goby

p-71458-court-jester-goby.jpg

Purple Firefish Goby

Black Rayed Shrimpfish

Pseudochromis

Edited by SeanCallan

ehhhh not too encouraging...

maybe chromis are my best bet

Not that anyone follows the "rules" but Chromis are listed as minimum 30 gallons. I don't know how many you'd want to try to put into half their recommended gallonage.

Before you pick them up check on their schooling numbers. Apparently fish have weird behavioral traits that make them friendly with N fish and competitive with X. Hence why I'm limited to 1 Anthia. :|

Best suggestion would be to upgrade to 160 gallons. :wacko:

Edited by SeanCallan

dare I say it? yellow tailed damsels :eek:

small tank, yes, but fish would be added at the same time (hope to reduce territory aggressiveness), no other fish in system, and they are less aggressive than other damsels.

dare I say it? yellow tailed damsels :eek:

small tank, yes, but fish would be added at the same time (hope to reduce territory aggressiveness), no other fish in system, and they are less aggressive than other damsels.

How many are you going to try and get? I still think the safest and easiest solution is to upgrade the tank by ten folds.

How many are you going to try and get? I still think the safest and easiest solution is to upgrade the tank by ten folds.

2 maybe 3 max.

We both know that if a larger tank was a possibility, it would already be in the works. For now, the 16 will have to do.

2 maybe 3 max.

We both know that if a larger tank was a possibility, it would already be in the works. For now, the 16 will have to do.

Build it in secret! :eek:

You don't update your thread often, have you finished the additions you were making to the stand and canopy?

Build it in secret! :eek:

You don't update your thread often, have you finished the additions you were making to the stand and canopy?

LOL I have NO time to work on the projects she knows about (house work, computer work, the '49 pick up, fish tanks - the list goes on and on)

I got the ATO water resvoir built and all that working. I've got the panels and am hoping to get them sealed this weekend, maybe get them installed, but I'm not counting on that. I still need to clean up the wiring and get some lighting for the sump.

Do a school of Tangs.

Actually, why not a six line wrasse? I had one in my old 75 and he was constantly out and about swimming. He looked cool, he was good at his job, and he was actually pretty friendly.

Edited by SeanCallan

Small scissortail gobies? Mine school, and are neat fish. Also, I think chalk basslets will stick together if you get 'em in threes, but that's just my observation, not the canonical fishy truth :biggrin: