Flower Anemone

trockafella

Are they hardy, how big do they get.. Are there a lot of colors, what are the lighting requirements, does anyone have any..? Sorry i wasnt very specific in asking.. Thanks

Mine have grown to be as big as the mouth of a coffee cup. I know some of them have pretty neat colors, but mine aren't anything really special. They do have some bands of yellow in the tentacles that are cool. The lighting requirements are similar to any other anemone. If you check out my tank thread, I have a picture of one.

They can grow as large as 10" to 12" across. Mine got to be around 7-8" or so when I passed him on to another reefer. I've seen them with tan/white coloration and green/white coloration. I was a newb when I got mine and it thrived, so I guess they're pretty hardy, eh? I was pretty good at feeding mine, and ran my system with 2x150W MH + 2x96W actinic CF lighting. Feeding it chunky foods 2 times a week (on average) seemed to help it along nicely. Generally speaking, my water parameters were good, though I did have a brief period with nitrates climbing to about 40 (before pushing them back down below 5).

IME quadricolors don't move a lot. They situate themselves when first placed in a tank, or when environmental changes dictate that a change is necessary. Mine has been in the same place for 4 years or so. Crucifers are pretty much the same. Generally speaking they are hardy (by anemone standards), and can tolerate a wide variety of lighting conditions. I kept mine under VHO, then PC, then T5, then halide/VHO and finally halide/T5. The anemone appeared to do better under strong lighting, and definitely showed better coloration. Even though they are a non-hosting anemone, mine did host a clown for a spell. Here's a linky:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry171235

FWIW I no longer have this anemone as I passed it on to Doug.

Garrett.

I have 2, one brown but with a cool batter and one a neon green. Both attached themselves low against the rock so they sit about even with the sand, but in a position where they don't get any shade. That puts them about 20 below the surface but I have 250W DE halides 8" above the water plus T5 and VHO, so I still think they get a lot of light. They have not moved their attachment points since I put them in the tank (> 1 year ago), just shifted a little to get more light.

They have very strong stings. The "stickiest" thing I have ever come into contact with in my tank. Very strong feeding response too. A small piece of rubble with a ric attached fell into one once and I couldn't pull it out in time. It swallowed the whole rock, only to spit it out the next day. I don't feed mine much in an effort to keep their size the same, and this has worked well.

One more thing - they are very hardy IME. Ph over 9.5 for 12+ hours had no effect whatsoever.

Still have Garrett's btw. Very easy to care for a flower anem. I have mine under vho/t5 combination. Also have the "borneman's" under the same and reproducing lots.

BTA's only move if you don't want them too.

I inherited Origami2547's flower anemone (Tan/White/Green) mentioned above. Has been happy under 250W halides or T5's. Wow, this sucker is sticky. From time to time, I spot feed Mysis. Likes to stay put even though it gets pummeled by the nearby RTBA :(

Don't need much light, very hardy, tentacles are on the fringe of the disc, and they maintain a low profile. They don't host fish, as far as I know, but can host anemone crabs which hang on the side of the anemone anyway. Can come in some incredible colors.

I'll see what I can do for you. Give me a day or two, George and I are working on installing a new floor in my parent's basement & i keep getting home when the lights are out. I'll get you a pic! :)

-Jess

• 1 month later...

Well that was a bit longer than a day or two, and My picture is a bit crappy due to the location that this anemone decided to take up residence. Here is our red flower anemone, a bit pissed off at me - but clearly, RED.

-Jess

2611828100072302344S600x600Q85.jpg