RBTA question.

Highland Reefer

I have had a RBTA for a while now. When I bought it, the color of the center area was pretty much white. I recently changed my light from a 14,000 K to a 10,000 K. The RBTA has changed from white in the center to a brown color. It also hides in the rocks for a period of time each day. The tentacles are not as long now. It eats well. Is this a concern?

Like what Chip said, it sounds like it is just getting adjusted to the new lights.

When you change your bulbs out for new ones, and especially when going to a more intense bulb or if the old ones were really old and weak, it helps to decrease the photo period by one or two hours. Then increase it to the amount you want over the next couple of weeks by 30 minute intervals.

Like others:

New bulbs intensity > old bulb intensity = lightburn

Either reduce exposure period

or

use window screen material for a 2-3 days so that the light intensity is diminished and livestock get more used to the shift in the wavelength that occurs (bulb wavelengths change over time).

Your change from 14000K to 10000K resulted in more usable par for the algae inside your anemone, which probably increased in population as a result. If you decrease the amount of po3 and no3 in your water, the anemone will lighten again. As for the hiding, just give it time, don't move it. It will decide when to come out again. In any case, it's nothing to be worried about.

Edited by chucelli

My nitrates are reading zero with a new Salifert Kit and my phosphates are reading zero with a Hach PO-19 and a Salifert Kit. I am due to change my GFO soon.

It has been about a month since I changed the bulbs, so I don't think doing any changes at this point will be helpful. It has started to act like it is recuperating from the light change this week.

I appreciate all the help and will make sure I follow your advise the next time I change the bulbs. :)

Just to piggy back, I have an anemone that was doing pretty well under my 65w 10K bulbs and 2, but I recently upgraded to t-5's and my anemone has taken a turn, and basically is hiding in one of my live rocks, and just today I noticed his base is blowing a bubble of sorts ... this is the best picture i could get of it, any suggestions?

Edited by tischdog32

Just to piggy back, I have an anemone that was doing pretty well under my 65w 10K bulbs and 2, but I recently upgraded to t-5's and my anemone has taken a turn, and basically is hiding in one of my live rocks, and just today I noticed his base is blowing a bubble of sorts ... this is the best picture i could get of it, any suggestions?

I suggest a better camera.

That was a good increase in light. I am sure once it adjusts it will come out and be very happy.

I can't tell anything from the pictures but sometimes they will bubble out the foot to assist them in movement.

and just today I noticed his base is blowing a bubble of sorts ... this is the best picture i could get of it, any suggestions?

resist the urge to pop it.

It won't help.

Feed it some sardines processed in water and rinse well before giving it a piece smaller than it's mouth.

de bone if it has some, some FW types do.

If it takes it well then repeat after it begins to open again. Try this again in a couple days.

No expert here but that never stopped me :wacko:

Isn't it true that an anemone that is white is a problem, lost or loosing it's zooanthella?

Could it be that his anemone is actually improving but experiencing shock at first?

Thoughts?

white around oral cavity, no biggie. white elsewhere, bleaching. Mine have developed the white streaks near the mouth, moreso after manual division. I hear that that is a way of sexing anems, but not sure. White streaks = female?

My nitrates are reading zero with a new Salifert Kit and my phosphates are reading zero with a Hach PO-19 and a Salifert Kit. I am due to change my GFO soon.

Do you have algae?

If so, you have po3 and no3. Test kits for po3 and no3 don't tell you anything except that you have excess nutrients not being consumed.

I don't know of any anemones with brown pigments, so browning as you described would most certainly be related to an increase in zooanthellae. What you are seeing could also just be a perception issue, as bluer light brings out pigments more while whiter/yellower light doesn't, allowing browns to show more. If this helps make you feel better, many reefers swap lighting to find the most appealing color to their eye without any problems. As long as you were within the same wattage for that type of lighting I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by chucelli

Thanks for the impute. I wonder if adding vinegar to my kalk would have anything to do with it, with increased bacterial availability. I am not sure if RBTA feed on bacteria.