Nano fish

Sharkb8

Wondering what fish to put into a 28g nano. I am a fish person and love fish more than corals. However, I really, really, really don't want to put a fish in this tank that will be too big or will have its life unusually stunted because of being placed in a small tank (i.e., tangs, angels, clowns, etc.). So, I'm wondering what other options are out there. I am particularly interested in unusual, colorful fish that will not eat snails or shrimp or crabs. Assuming budget is not an issue, anyone have any small fish they would recommend, or have seen that they wish they could add to their nano?

I've decided I am going to add info to this thread as I find it, hoping it may also be useful to others. For starters, some livestock definitely NOT to put in your tank (any tank):

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/MarLvSel.htm

Found this useful thread of completely dreadful emails of people heavily overstocking tanks in complete ignorance of the species, their requirements, etc. This link is really depressing, lots of things I want to avoid:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rflvstogsizf.htm

Suggestions:

(1) Group of firefish, perhaps royal or queen type

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_1/cav.../wormfishes.htm

(2) group (maybe 6?) blue reef chromis

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=4

(3) An interesting point about mixing/matching gobies/blennies:

Can all different species in the goby family live together or will they fight. <Likely fight in this small a space>

Would they fight with a blenny too? <Perhaps> I thought that since they were so small they would be good for a nano tank and like 4 or 5 of them would not be a big bioload if you stay on top of water changes. <Most successful nano-reefers I know stick to one species per tank. In such small confines, it's difficult to contain aggression, and weaker fish have less coverage in which to hide. 2 Gobies of the same species would be my selection. Ryan>

(4) ...

Edited by Sharkb8

Don't foget the gobies, especially the non-digging kind. The neon gobies (both blue and gold kinds) are my favorites. They're small, get along with nearly all fish, and have lots of personality.

Jon

Thanks Jon. I definitely want to add a goby. Which kind though? I wonder if there are any really odd, or unusual kinds out there I could try that add something different to the tank.

Thanks Jon. I definitely want to add a goby. Which kind though? I wonder if there are any really odd, or unusual kinds out there I could try that add something different to the tank.

some people are big fans of the midas blenny, quite intresting, displays the typical blenny behavior, perching on rocks, exploring caves ect.. but also is an active swimmer, exploring all levels of the tank. They are a pretty golden yellow color, are curious, and are usually the first to recognize the bringing of food.

What i find most attractive, are tanks that display all levels of activity, bottom, mid level, and all level fish.

my stock list for a 28g, would be

1 potters or flame as the showpiece fish

1 orchid dottyback, royal gramma, or wrasse type fish

1 jawfish or goby , sandsifter type

I wouldn't stock no more than 3 poss 4, if you keep up on reg water changes, assuming that the 4th is of small size, ie. neon goby, gumdrop, firefish, ect.

good luck!

I agree that a jawfish would be a nice addition. Just make sure to have some type of netting over the tank until it builds/finds a place to burrow. They are REALLY skittish and have jumped on me several times before.

You could go with a small school of fish, like some orange striped or blue streak cardinals.

Any of the Liopropoma genus are peaceful, hardy and beautiful nano fish. The swissguard basslet (Liopropoma rubre) is probably the most recognizable. The only drawback is that they can be shy. I just got lucky and had an opportunity to pick up a Liopropoma mowbrayi (see it here). He (she?) is out swimming around all the time, so I really got doubly lucky with an outgoing one. So if you want something unusual that does very well in a nano, one of these basslets is a good choice. Diver's Den/Live Aquaria often has some nice ones, and if you are extremely lucky you may get a chance to pick up a L. carmabi, the atlantic candy basslet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure to check compatibility whichever fish you get, especially because they won't have a lot of territory.

Not sure if its been suggested yet or not, but I have to recommend the Possum Wrasse and the Yashia Goby.

These are great fish and the goby can be paired easily with a pistol shrimp.

Hope it helps.