Charcoal AND Phosphate media?

lanman

I'm fairly sure I've heard of people doing this - but is it okay to put a layer of charcoal AND a layer of phosphate media in your media reactor??

Anything I should know??

Thanks,

bob

Bob,

you can do it that way. I use two phosban reactors run piggy back off of the same pump. Carbon first and then phosphate media. That way I can replace the media from one as needed without worrying about emptying out both at the same time. I do carbon first in hopes that it will lock up/catch any organics that would otherwise deplete the phosphate media faster. That stuff is a bit expensive.

Garrett.

Bob,

you can do it that way. I use two phosban reactors run piggy back off of the same pump. Carbon first and then phosphate media. That way I can replace the media from one as needed without worrying about emptying out both at the same time. I do carbon first in hopes that it will lock up/catch any organics that would otherwise deplete the phosphate media faster. That stuff is a bit expensive.

Garrett.

As slow as I am to change the media in my reactor - I'm sure both will be 'depleted' by the time I get around to it. :) Not that I can tell when my carbon has stopped working. I just shoot for every month or two.

Thanks!

bob

Right now, Bob, I run both in the same reactor. I've put a piece of gutter guard and filter foam between the two layers to separate them. I keep the carbon above the phosban so it can be changed out more frequently than the phosban below.

As my system gets larger, I'll probably move to a second reactor.

Right now, Bob, I run both in the same reactor. I've put a piece of gutter guard and filter foam between the two layers to separate them. I keep the carbon above the phosban so it can be changed out more frequently than the phosban below.

As my system gets larger, I'll probably move to a second reactor.

I have a pretty big reactor... :)

bob

Wow, perfect timing. I was going to ask the same question. Thanks for beating me to it.

Sandy

Same here. Actually... another question: how long should that carbon and phosphate remover generally last? I've been replacing every two weeks... but maybe I'm wasting media?

Some people say carbon is only effective for a few days, other say much longer. Look at Almon, who is our current TOTM... he replaces his carbon quarterly. As far as phosphate media, every tank is different. I follow the directions given to me on the media I'm using. Generally you have to replace frequently as it will become "depleted" rather quickly, later you can use it longer as it becomes more of a maintenance process. Every 4-6 weeks should be fine IMO.

G.

For those of you looking for a decent dual reactor, I just got this unit in the CMAS groupbuy:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-P...oduct_info.html

I like it thus far. You'd be surprised how much media you can fit inside those things. I had been just throwing carbon and GFO into a media bag and floating it in my sump. I changed it every 4-6 weeks. Supposedly carbon doesn't last as long as GFO, but with my fish load and the amount of phosphates in my tank, I'm sure I deplete my GFO faster than most.

On a side note, it really is remarkable how getting your phosphates in check can affect the growth of your corals. I had an explosion in growth when I got my phosphates in order.

I bought the same reactor & luv it so far. It is built to last. :)

Bob, if your nitrates are still high, you may be a good candidate for dosing a carbon source, which would bring your levels down considerably. Using GFO/GAC in a reactor is great, but if your levels are high, it may be very expensive.

Edited by Highland Reefer

I have done a fair amount of testing using carbon and GFO because these are 2 of the products which I sell. I will be selling the High capacity GFO within a couple of months and will be comparing my PhosBgone to it. I currently mix both my PhosBgone and carbon in the same reactor but this is not the most efficient way to use them. As most of the comments have stated generally the phosphate media lasts longer.

I have been using a dual reactor similar to bulk reef supply but pushing the water through with a peristalic pump. I use water from a stand alone acrylic tank I have and test the water every day until I begin to see a rise in the phosphates. The GfO lasts longer if it is placed 2nd inline with the carbon. Both the carbon and GFO will last longer if the intake has some kind of strainer to remove larger particles. I have also found that in general the slower I run water through the carbon the longer it appears to be effective. With carbon I don't have a very precise method for testing when it is saturated but I am going to ask my supplier and see what they would recommend.

I have been very busy with new family members and my full time job but after I have done the various tests a couple of times I will post my findings on my site as well as on WAMAS. I will also be testing My lignite carbon against other lignite carbons as well as bitmunous carbons.