Need some help on selling/returning/refunding something

Sikryd

I was wondering if you guys can let me in on your thoughts on a situation that came up recently after I sold something.

I put something up for sale, and it sold in the FS thread. After contacting the person and discussing the distance and stuff, we tried to work out something where we could meet up in the middle or sometwhere along that lines.

The first time it didn't work out since someone backed out on another item. The second time the person couldn't make it due to it being short notice. So instead of keeping the item 1.5hr away, I dropped it off to someone who lives 20-30 minutes away that agreed they would hold it and pass it on to the buyer.

It was agreed that would be fine, and I was paid via paypal. The person holding it couldn't meet up the first time they agreed, and then the buyer decides that he just wants to back out of the deal and me to refund his money asap.

I feel like I went out of my way to save the buyer time/money/gas by getting their purchase to them, instead of just saying come pick it up.

The item is in the same town now, but the buyer doesn't want it anymore and is threatening to file a claim with paypal if I don't refund their money.

Does this seem right? Am I missing something?

I thought a deal is a deal, especially when I have gone out of my way to make it easier on the buyer to get the item since we live so far apart.

What would you do?

all sales are usually final i would think..you can't buy something from someone and back out just because u didn't feel like u didn't need it anymore or not wanting to deal with picking it up etc..someone else that needed it or wanted it could've bought the item and u as a seller shouldn't be expected to refund the money unless the product was damaged or wasn't what you claimed it was...

The deal was already completed, so there's nothing to back out of. I think some people take advantage of club members rather than just the benefits of the club.

the item was paid for and delivered to the designated place. the paypal claim cannot be substantiated.

Hard call, Paypal might agree it was not delivered to the buyer.

Hard call, Paypal might agree it was not delivered to the buyer.

Yes but the buyer had already been in contact with the person holding the item so it is out of the seller's hands..if he had no idea that the item was being held by someone else then that would be another story...

I'm personally getting tired of people who say they want to buy something, you list it as sold, and then they change their minds. It seems to happen WAY too often around here. It's one thing if a buyer sees the item and decides that it's not what they expected - poor quality, too big/small, etc. But to commit to buying, asking the seller to label it as "sold", then deciding that they really didn't want it after all - not cool. I personally held a "sold" item for a month for a member then finally sold it to somebody else when he refused to respond to my IMs about pickup.

I agree that your item is out of your hands and delivered as agreed upon, but also that Paypal just may not see things the same way. Hope you have the delivery arrangements in writing.

Edited by Hilary

I agree with the others. After all that you have gone through to complete that sale, I would consider it sold and end of story. It's very rude on the buyers part IMO.

Speaking as someone who has been screwed over:

1) By paypal

2) By a member here, using paypal

I can tell you that all logic goes out the door when dealing with complaints and paypal. You could very well end up losing if they get involved. Common sense is not important.

just my $.02!

tim

I'm personally getting tired of people who say they want to buy something, you list it as sold, and then they change their minds. It seems to happen WAY to often around here. It's one thing if a buyer sees the item and decides that it's not what they expected - poor quality, too big/small, etc. But to commit to buying, asking the seller to label it as "sold", then deciding that they really didn't want it after all - not cool. I personally held a "sold" item for a month for a member then finally sold it to somebody else when he refused to respond to my IMs about pickup.

I agree that your item is out of your hands and delivered as agreed upon, but also that Paypal just may not see things the same way. Hope you have the delivery arrangements in writing.

This is why people should put "pending" instead of sold, until the actual pickup. When other people see "sold" they don't bother looking back. When they see "pending" sometimes they will do second and third in line. To me it's not sold until the money and item are exchanged.

You shouldn't need anything in writing if you have the person who accepted the item to verify that he was holding the item on the buyer's behalf at the buyer's request or arrangement.

I think you have every right to be pissed off. I dunno how pay pal will see it... unfortunately... you can try working with them if not you might be screwed. If you want to pm me and tell me where it is I could possibly pick it up for you if it's on my way somewhere I go. If you can't work it out. Out them :why:

It is what it is. If the person wants to go through paypal and try and screw me that way, its on them. I will do what paypal suggests and resell the item here, and post who was involved to warn others.

I just got annoyed when they demanded their money back, like I had done something wrong, then threatened paypal when I suggested we work through this.

Its not like it was something real expensive. On top of that, the same item just sold for 35% more on here recently, and it a year old - mine is new.

So getting my money back is no problem. To me its the principle of the whole thing.

If I didn't sell things for so cheap, or work hard at getting this item to the person without them having to burn gas and time, I probably wouldn't be so bumbed. But when someone does that to you when you go out of your way it just sucks.

Thanks for all your thoughts, and confirmations on this.

If it was delivered then the sale is final. There is nothing the buyer can do about it. He can file a claim and you can dispute it. There is nothing more that can happen though. I also agree with what Hilary said. Every time I put an item up for sale get lowballed by a member on items already priced very low and then he claims he wants the item and schedules a time to meet and NEVER shows. Needless to say I refuse to deal with this person now. I'm a nice guy and people who have bought from me get what was described and in some cases more. I've probably given more away than I've sold as I don't sell very often on here. But you can't satisfy everyone and it's useless to try.

Lately, some members have been less than pleasant to deal with in the FS threads. I keep everything as simple as I can. No holding, no shipping and no paypal. Cash only and first come first serve.

It is what it is. If the person wants to go through paypal and try and screw me that way, its on them. I will do what paypal suggests and resell the item here, and post who was involved to warn others.

I just got annoyed when they demanded their money back, like I had done something wrong, then threatened paypal when I suggested we work through this.

Its not like it was something real expensive. On top of that, the same item just sold for 35% more on here recently, and it a year old - mine is new.

So getting my money back is no problem. To me its the principle of the whole thing.

If I didn't sell things for so cheap, or work hard at getting this item to the person without them having to burn gas and time, I probably wouldn't be so bumbed. But when someone does that to you when you go out of your way it just sucks.

Thanks for all your thoughts, and confirmations on this.

If it's any help, I'm driving from Falls Church to Pasadena on Sunday. If the item is along the way, I could at least get it back to you without you wasting gas.

If it's any help, I'm driving from Falls Church to Pasadena on Sunday. If the item is along the way, I could at least get it back to you without you wasting gas.

Thanks, I'll pm you if I need the help.

If you plan to refund him then you should get the item back asap before you refund him. It's common for people to claim they never received an item and file with paypal, screwing the seller out of the item and the money.

If you plan to refund him then you should get the item back asap before you refund him. It's common for people to claim they never received an item and file with paypal, screwing the seller out of the item and the money.

I think the item was left with a third party at a more convenient location for the buyer.

Well, if you ask any of the attorneys on here (??) they might say you had a bargained-for agreement (meeting of the minds) and you substantially completed your end of the contract. He is the one breaking said contract and therefore is the one at fault and in fact would owe you money for making you go through all this. I think you are in the clear. All sales of used goods are considered generally final. You made no warranties, express or implied, that it was refundable, returnable, etc. Tell this person to take a hike, literally, to go pick it up.

Well, if you ask any of the attorneys on here (??) they might say you had a bargained-for agreement (meeting of the minds) and you substantially completed your end of the contract. He is the one breaking said contract and therefore is the one at fault and in fact would owe you money for making you go through all this. I think you are in the clear. All sales of used goods are considered generally final. You made no warranties, express or implied, that it was refundable, returnable, etc. Tell this person to take a hike, literally, to go pick it up.

well said...

I also agree. You basically dropped the item off to an escrow and they need to pick it up.

If this doesn't have a happy ending, please post their info in the members section so we know who not to deal with or at least go out of our way to deal with.

Well, this attorney would say you are probably right but I would refund him the money anyway, just in the interest of maintaining good will within this friendly, sort of neighborly fish club. Stuff happens. Take the high road. You will rarely if ever regret it. :cheers:

Offer to refund the money on the condition if you do so, you post the member's name. Puts the burden of choice re: reputation on the other party. The rest of us would appreciate knowing whom to be wary of when selling things in the future.

I wouldn't do it. This guy is trying to take advantage of you and will just see you as gulllible.