looking for a good Nitrate test kit

zygote2k

I need a very accurate and easy to use Nitrate test kit. I currently use a Salifert and a RedSea. They are very similar and produce the same results. I'm finding it hard to actually make the color comparisons with either of these tests. IMO, they seem like poor quality kits.

I'd like to know if anyone makes a highly accurate and super easy NO3 kit?

I'm having the same problem. I've used/have Salifert, Red Sea, and API. I see there as being 4 measurement increments and skip the numbers - undetectable, low, moderate, and high nitrate. Best way to decide whether nitrate is a problem is to look at the tank and skip the tests.

I've had good luck with my Tropic Marin test kit (from AquaCo).

Have you compared it to other tests? How were you able to determine accuracy?

I need a very accurate and easy to use Nitrate test kit. I currently use a Salifert and a RedSea. They are very similar and produce the same results. I'm finding it hard to actually make the color comparisons with either of these tests. IMO, they seem like poor quality kits.

I'd like to know if anyone makes a highly accurate and super easy NO3 kit?

There is no such kit available. Aquarium grade test kits are not that accurate by nature of methods used. Lab grade procedures would be too time consuming and expensive. :)

You could get into using pipettes & scales, but is it worth it?

Then you run into the problems of how can one prove that their kit is more accurate. One could question the results of professional labs, look at the results that occur in the papers. There are problems with different batches of kits from the same manufacturer. So if we try to do a proper comparison, how long will this comparison stay true?

I believe that most of the problems with the aquarium grade kits is the lack of following proper procedures. Do you properly rinse the test vials, syringes & spoons with rodi water after every use. Do you use clean towels to wipe with? Do you keep the surface clean that you work on? Do you intermix the equipment between test kits? The list goes on & on. These procedures can make big differences in the results.

As far as aquarium grade kits go, I believe that consistency is more important. All these kits are only an approximation of the true readings & the range of error leaves something to be desired. :biggrin:

Edited by Highland Reefer

Have you compared it to other tests? How were you able to determine accuracy?

I was using another test kit (the one with the blue Dr. fish on the package), and kept getting very high nitrate readings. I did everything - big, frequent water changes, ran carbon, searched for causes - couldn't get the reading to change. Everybody who looked at my tank said that it couldn't look that good with those kind of readings. So I bought the other kit. This one said I have basically no nitrates, which made more sense. Not very scientific, but I'm satisfied. The instructions and measuring tools lead to a fairly controlled method to follow, and while it's still comparing colors I think it's easier with the colors/card provided. If I remember correctly it even comes with an additional chemical to use a a double-check for accuracy periodically.

I was using another test kit (the one with the blue Dr. fish on the package), and kept getting very high nitrate readings. I did everything - big, frequent water changes, ran carbon, searched for causes - couldn't get the reading to change. Everybody who looked at my tank said that it couldn't look that good with those kind of readings. So I bought the other kit. This one said I have basically no nitrates, which made more sense. Not very scientific, but I'm satisfied. The instructions and measuring tools lead to a fairly controlled method to follow, and while it's still comparing colors I think it's easier with the colors/card provided. If I remember correctly it even comes with an additional chemical to use a a double-check for accuracy periodically.

So should I trust whichever test gives me the lowest reading on a consitent basis rather than which gives me the highest reading on a consitent basis?

So should I trust whichever test gives me the lowest reading on a consitent basis rather than which gives me the highest reading on a consitent basis?

I think what she's saying is that she trusts the kit which gives her a reading that matches the results in her tank. It's a step called 'stand back and look for the logic'. For example - in my aquarium, I have corals dying... bits of green hair algae here and there - some cyano in places. I think this fits my test results of around 25-30 ppm of Nitrates. I've tried two test kits, and both tell me the same thing. I might try a third. But I'm reasonably confident that my test results are accurate.

bob

Nice, Forrest. And yea, you got it, Bob! Common sense does play a role in this hobby (or I sure hope it does!). I'm going with the kit that reflects the results I'm seeing in my tank - no hair algae, most corals are thriving, and cyno only when I mess with my flow. The readings of 40 ppm just didn't make any sense.

Edited by Hilary