75 Gallon Tank Update

Triggerfish31

I pretty much solved my slim algae crisis and did an emergancy fish order for supplies. Tonight I will have all the supplies to do a continous 15% water change on my tank every two weeks. The most recent water test highlighted the rest of the problems that I face:

Salinity: 1.020

Amonia: 0

Nitrite:Was up a little

Nitrate: 50

Calcium: 300

Phosphorus: 0

PH: 8.1

Oxygen: 5

Iron: 0

I should not have to worry about the Oxygen levels since my protein skimmer has been aclimated and the nitrate and nitrite should go down with the water changes I am going be doing. I am going to rais the calcium level up slowy. Last night I cleaned off the algae on the glass. I am not using live rock in my system but for the first time in 10months I am finally starting to see some calcarious algae building up on my rock work. I will take some pics this weekend and post them on here.

Aaron :fish:

I am planning on purchasing those two test kits along with a DI/RO unit with 50gpd this evening. I am struggling with a 25gpd unit because it takes too long to fill up my 30gallon holding tank for RO/DI filtered water since now I am doing water changes more frequently. I have also cut back to feeding my fish twice a day. Before I was feeding them three times a day. So far things look great in the tank. I will put up three more pictures in the WAMAS gallery tonight. Once things get settled in the tank I plan on adding a yellow goby to my livestock. :fish:

I just tested my 75 tank for the two tests mentioned above.

Magnesium= 1000 ppm

Alkalinity= I have no clue. I have tried the test twice but I don't reach the finish point. I am guessing it is way above 4.0 Maybe I am doing something wrong. Has anyone else used the Red Sea Alkalinity test?

Aaron :fish:

I use the Red Sea alkalinity test. You have to read it in natural light (sunlight) to get an accurate color representation. Otherwise, you'll think it reads at the higher end of the chart. If you want a more accurate and easier to use test, buy the LaMotte alkalinity test. It measures in ppm which you can easily convert to dKh or meq./l

also you need to bring up your magnesium to between 1300 and 1400ppm. if you have an alkalinity problem this may be why. it helps to stabilize calcium and alkalinity and is used pretty heavily by corraline algae.

I have all the pumps running at once. The Chromis enjoys swimming in the current all over the tank. The two Fire Fish usually swim along the bottom of the tank and the clownfish hangs around his home on the left side of the big rock. I am planning on getting two more livestock for my tank. I am looking at getting a Blenny and a cleaner shrimp. After that I am going to wait a while and then maybe I will start filling my tank with a few soft corals but thats in the future. After all this tank was started in February of this year. I am taking my time.